What’s Open and Closed on Victoria Day May 22 in Hamilton
Published May 21, 2023 at 12:15 pm
This year, Victoria Day falls on Monday, May 22, 2023, in Hamilton.
It’s the first long weekend of the summer (well, almost summer), and there’s a lot to see and do around Hamilton.
For those looking to celebrate with a bang, the Hamilton Fire Department recently reminded residents that fireworks are ONLY permitted on Victoria Day and Canada Day, between dusk and 11 pm. If inclement weather on those days prevents fireworks, they can be used the day following the holiday between dusk and 11 pm.
For more information on fireworks, click here.
The city will also be hosting a fireworks celebration. Attendees can check out Victoria Day Fireworks at Dundas Driving Park. The free event will feature live music, face painting, food trucks and more.
Here’s what is open and closed in Hamilton on Victoria Day 2023:
- Movie theatres
- Most Shoppers Drug Marts, but call ahead to be sure
- Restaurants that are typically operational on Mondays will likely be open, but be sure to call or check social media before heading out
- Most convenience stores
- Most garden centres
- Select Beer Store locations including
– 1111 Barton St. E
– 1408 Upper James St
– 150 Barton St. E
– 282 Parkdale Ave. N
– 75 Centennial Pkwy N
– 959 Fennell Ave. E.
- Local parks, trails and conservation areas, including Christie Lake, Crooks’ Hollow, Devil’s Punchbowl, Dundas Valley, Fletcher Creek, Spencer Gorge and more
- Westfield Heritage Village (12 pm to 4 pm)
What’s open and closed on Victoria Day in:
Mississauga, Brampton, Halton, Niagara Region, Durham
- All City of Hamilton administrative offices will be closed. For emergencies involving roads, water mains, sewer systems, public health and safety issues, please call 905-546-2489
- The Housing Services office at 350 King Street East
- CF Lime Ridge
- Jackson Square
- Most other shopping malls
- Most major grocery stores
- Libraries (closed both Sunday and Monday)
- Hamilton Civic Museums
- Government offices (all levels)
- Canada Post (no mail pick up or delivery)
- Hamilton Animal Services (office counter and shelter) will be closed, but residents can call 905-574-3433 in the event of an animal emergency
- Gage Park Tropical Greenhouse
- Hamilton Farmers’ Market
- Mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinics will be closed Sunday and Monday
- There will be no green bin, blue box, yard waste, bulk waste, or garbage pick-up. Waste collection will occur one day later.
- Community Recycling Centres are closed
HSR buses will operate a Sunday service level
Routes that do not operate on Sundays will not operate on Victoria Day, meaning HSR myRide and Route 18 Waterdown Mountaineer will not be running
Trans-Cab service will align with HSR Sunday schedules. Service between Countrywide Recycling and the Twenty at Nebo transfer point will not be running
DARTS will operate on holiday service hours. All subscription trips on DARTS, except for dialysis trips, are cancelled for Victoria Day. If passengers need to travel, they must make a reservation in advance to do so.
The Accessible Transportation Services customer service office will be closed
GO Transit will run on a Saturday scheduleinsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising