What’s open and closed Victoria Day May 23 in Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Clarington and Whitby
Published May 22, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Victoria Day in 2022 falls on May 23 in Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Clarington and Whitby.
One of Canada’s oldest holidays, Victoria Day is right around the corner for Canadians to celebrate what would be the 203rd birthday of the ‘Mother of Confederation’ on May 24.
With all the ups and downs and openings and closings of the last two years thanks to the pandemic, residents may not know what to actually celebrate.
Here is what is open and closed on Victoria Day:
- All LCBO locations will be shuttered on next Monday as will most Beer Stores
- The Oshawa Centre and the Pickering Town Centre are shutting their doors for the day but restaurants with street acess will be open
- Durham municipal, provincial, and federal building and offices are closing down their town halls
- All banks will be closed
- Public and Catholic schools in the Region will be closed
- Most recreation centres in the Region will be closed
- Libraries will be closed
- Movie theatres will be open
- Some Shoppers Drug Marts will be open
- Some restaurants will be open – call ahead to be sure – and most convenience stores will also be open
- Most garden centres will be open
- Oshawa Civic Recreation Complex will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Select Beer Stores will remain open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. including:
- 200 Ritson Rd N, Oshawa,
- 75 Kingston Rd. E. Ajax
- 3950 Brock St N in Whitby
- Most cannabis stores will be open. Call ahead to your favourite to be sure
- While most craft breweries will be closed a few are offering ‘holiday hours’ so call ahead to be sure. Old Flame in Port Perry will be open and Town Brewery will be serving ales from 12-6 as they are hosting an IPA festival at the brewery.
There will be no garbage pickup on Monday. Blue box, green bin and waste pick-up will be moved back a day. Regional waste centres will also be closed Monday.
Durham Region Transit (DRT), GO Trains and buses and Pulse buses will run on a holiday schedule
Durham residents can have their own fun Monday with fireworks, though Ajax Fire recently issued a warning about their use and encouraged residents to find a professional display.
There are no official Victoria Day events this year, though the Region is hosting numerous events on the days surrounding it.
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising advertising