Dangerous video shows tire flying off car on a Mississauga highway
Published November 15, 2022 at 1:14 pm
Two incidents involving tires flying off vehicles in Mississauga demonstrate the importance of keeping your vehicle serviced.
As winter approaches — with the first snow advisory happening today (Nov. 15) — it’s a good time to get winter tires and make sure your they are properly installed.
In the first incident, dash-cam video shows a tire hurling towards a vehicle, the driver reacts, and pulls over to the side. The car that lost its tire swerves.
“Getting ready for the season with winter tires?” the OPP tweet from Nov. 14 reads. “It happens fast…”
The incident happened on Hwy. 403 near Mavis Road on Nov. 6, Sgt. Kerry Schmidt OPP tells insauga.com.
There were no injuries reported but the car hit was damaged as the tire struck the hood.
“Obviously, there’s significant damage,” Schmidt says.
The driver was charged with improper maintenance, he adds.
— OPP Highway Safety Division (@OPP_HSD) November 15, 2022
Schmidt says a second incident of a tire flying off a vehicle happened again in the same area and the OPP will be posting information on it today.
The OPP tips for safe winter driving include:
- Drive according to current road and weather conditions. Reduce your speed when adverse weather conditions arise.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. Remember, longer stopping distances may be required.
- Be able to see and be seen. Clean frost and snow off all windows, mirrors, and lights.
- Consider installing four winter tires on your vehicle, install good wiper blades and keep an ample supply of windshield washer fluid in your vehicle
- Give yourself extra time to reach your destination. Consider postponing or cancelling your trip if the weather does not improve.