Walk-ins no longer permitted at COVID-19 assessment centres in Mississauga
In a bid to ease the extreme pressure on COVID-19 assessment centres and prompt asymptomatic residents to be tested at pharmacies and other venues, the province has mandated that Trillium Health Partners (THP) no longer accept walk-ins at its two testing centres in Mississauga.
Beginning Oct. 6, all visits to THP assessment centres will be by appointment only.
THP currently operates assessment centres at its Credit Valley Hospital and Mississauga Hospital locations.
In a statement, THP said that the assessment centre at THP's Mississauga Hospital Clinical Administration Building will be open on Tuesday, Oct. 6 for to those who have made appointments. THP's drive-thru assessment centre at the Credit Valley Hospital remains open for people who have made an appointment and have access to a vehicle.
"To ensure we can continue to care for those with the highest priority medical needs, we are asking community members not to visit the Emergency Department (ED) to get a COVID-19 test," THP said in a statement.
"Anyone experiencing a medical emergency should continue to come to the ED."
Appointments for a COVID-19 test can be made online for those who meet the provincial testing criteria.
For those who do meet the criteria, appointments can be booked at participating pharmacies.
"THP would like to thank the community for their patience as we implement these changes, and for working alongside us in the fight against a second wave of COVID-19," THP said.
"By practicing hand hygiene, social distancing, wearing a mask or face covering and getting the annual flu shot, we can prevent strain on our health care systems this fall and winter and control further spread of COVID-19."
- Ontario set to open first wave of COVID-19 assessment centres
- OPINION: Here's what I experienced at The Credit Valley Hospital drive-thru COVID-19 assessment centre in Mississauga
- COVID-19 testing centres in Niagara Falls, Welland to shut down
- PHOTOS: What you should know about COVID-19 assessment sites in Mississauga
- A mobile COVID-19 testing centre is coming to Mississauga
- Police search for woman following a Mississauga park assault
- Lane closures in downtown Hamilton after watermain break
- Brampton resident celebrated his big lotto win with champagne
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- Milton driver high on alcohol and drugs get five years in jail for killing Mississauga man