How 3 Mississauga cenotaphs have changed in the last 10 years
Published November 10, 2022 at 3:13 pm
Growth and development has changed many things about Mississauga and the city’s three cenotaphs have weathered the storm.
Cenotaphs are at the heart of many cities across Canada. Many were built after the First or Second World War to honour and remember those killed in conflicts. They are gathering places for ceremonies on Remembrance Day.
“They are important symbols of our commitment to honouring and remembering the sacrifices of our Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP, peacekeepers, as well as their families and communities,” the Royal Canadian Legion notes on its website.
Mississauga has three cenotaphs — in Port Credit, Streetsville and Malton. But as the city grows, the monuments have seen the landscape around them change.
The city’s newest cenotaph is in Malton. Unveiled on Nov. 4, 1978, it is next to Paul Coffey Park at 3430 Derry Rd. E. The Malton Legion was a driving force behind the cenotaph, according to the City of Mississauga.
Compared to the city’s other two cenotaphs, Malton’s has seen little change.
In 2012, the cenotaph was obscured by trees. Photo via Google Maps
In 2017, there was talk of moving and refurbishing the Malton cenotaph along with the iconic CF 100 aircraft monument in Paul Coffey Park. The park is not as accessible as it once was with increasingly heavy truck traffic on Derry Road.
In 2021, the trees are gone and the cenotaph can be seen clearly from Derry Road.
The Streetsville Cenotaph has seen the biggest change. Unveiled on July 1, 1926, the 17-foot high cenotaph was inspired by a group of local veterans.
The Streetsville Cenotaph in 2012 sat in the now open village square. Photo via Google Street View
It was first built to honour those who had served in the First World War and then those who served in World War II and the Korean War.
The cenotaph in 2021, has now moved just a bit down from its original location. Photo via Google Maps
In 2012, the city discussed moving the cenotaph to make room for a larger gathering place at Streetsville Village Square. It moved in 2014 just a short distance away and still part of the square.
Mississauga’s oldest cenotaph was unveiled on Nov. 9, 1925. The monument was built to honour those who served in the First World War.
In 2009, the Port Credit Cenotaph was surround by trees and low-rise buildings. Photo via Google Maps
Twenty-one years later the names of residents who served in the Second World War were added. A further inscription was made in 1983 on the 30th anniversary of the Korean War.
Located at 29 Stavebank Rd. N. in Port Credit, this cenotaph is now dwarfed by a condo tower and missing the trees that once surrounded it.
In 2021, the newly built TANU condo is now directly behind the Port Credit cenotaph. Photo via Google Maps
A condo tower, TANU, from Edenshaw Developments Limited, designed by IBI Group, started construction in 2018 with a clearing of the site.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising