Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Makes it to Finals in California Tournament
If you’ve been following tennis recently, “Bianca Andreescu” is no doubt a name you’re familiar with.
The 18 year old Mississauga native made headlines back in January when she competed in 2019 ASB Classic in New Zealand, making it to all the way to finals to face off against defending champion Julia Goerges.
Now it looks like Andreescu’s back at it again, recently making it to finals in the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California.
On Friday, March 15, Tennis Canada reported that Andreescu managed to beat out Elina Svitolina, a player ranked 54 places above her.
“The 18-year-old showcased every weapon in her arsenal as she fired her way to a 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 win and a place in the final of the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, becoming the first wild card in history to do so,” the article reads.
Q. What's the overwhelming emotion at the moment?— WTA Insider (@WTA_insider) March 16, 2019
BIANCA ANDREESCU: I'm actually shaking right now. It's just so incredible. I'm honestly speechless, speechless.#BNPPO19
“We have become so accustomed to seeing Andreescu fly out of the traps and put her opponent under pressure early in matches, particularly at this tournament.”
The final match of the tournament will have Andreescu face off against German player Angelique Kerber.
We’ll see if Andreescu has what it takes to win it all on Sunday, March 17.
Good luck to both players in the final match!
Cover photo courtesy of Andreescu’s official Instagram account
- Police called after racism discussions become heated at Peel District School Board meeting
- Canada issues travel advisory warning for India
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Car drives on sidewalk in Mississauga
- Tim Hortons is implementing changes to its Tims Rewards loyalty program
- Five Reasons You Need to Try This Amazing Egyptian Restaurant in Mississauga
- 18-Year-Old Mississauga Tennis Star Wins Indian Wells Title in California Tournament
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu to Face Serena Williams in Rogers Cup Finals
- Mississauga tennis player Bianca Andreescu becomes highest-ranked Canadian ever on WTA rankings
- BREAKING: Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Becomes First Canadian to Win US Open Women's Singles
- Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Enters Quarter-Finals at Rogers Cup