Hamilton couple killed was planning to move out of rental unit


Published May 30, 2023 at 12:10 pm

The engaged Hamilton couple killed in a shooting was scheduled to move out of the rental basement apartment in Stoney Creek on June 1, according to police.

It was not clear if the plan was related to the events that led to the shooting. Hamilton police said the landlord is suspected of killing the two tenants.

Hamilton police are investigating whether a  dispute over a “health concern” in the rental unit may have been a factor in the shootings.

“We can confirm that this is believed to have been a landlord tenant dispute over a health concern at the residence,” said Jackie Penman, Hamilton police spokesperson, in an email to inthehammer.com on Tuesday, May 30.

She said the names of the two victims will officially be released later this afternoon. “We are working closely with the family and will have the photos they wish to use for their loved ones,” she said.

CBC News identified the couple last night (May 29) as Carissa MacDonald, a 27-year-old educational assistant, and Aaron Stone, a 28-year-old electrician. Police confirmed the victims’ identities today (May 30). 

Hamilton police and the province’s Special Investigations Unit did not name the suspect. “At the request of family, we are not releasing the name of the man who was involved in the interaction with police,” said Monica Hudon, spokesperson for the SIU.

Reports say the property’s owner was Terry Brekka, 57, a steelworker who lived at the residence for several years.

Police believe the two victims were shot outside while trying to escape the house on Saturday, May 27. The couple was renting a basement apartment in the detached home at 322 Jones Rd. in Stoney Creek. Police received a call that someone had been shot at about 5:40 p.m. They found a man and woman dead when they arrived at the residence.

The landlord, 57, had barricaded himself in the residence with firearms that were registered to him, according to police. Although police said they tried to peacefully negotiate with the suspect, he was killed after an exchange of gunfire with a police officer at about 10 p.m.

The Special Investigations Unit is investigating the conduct of police in connection to the suspect’s death while Hamilton police are looking into the double homicide case.

Hamilton Mayor Andrea Horwath expressed her condolences to those affected by the double homicide. “I was very saddened to hear about this senseless tragedy over the weekend, and my heart goes out to the families of the victims,” she said in a statement.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising