“You Are a Cranky…” Mississauga Councillor Calls Resident
Not everyone can keep a cool head when accused of bribery, and that includes some city councillors.
Malton resident Frank Mcgurk received a bold letter from Ward 5 Coun. Carolyn Parrish in which she calls him a "cranky constituent," CP24 reports.
Mcgurk has been fighting a development in his neighbourhood that would replace a local convenience store with more housing units. He sent a letter to Parrish saying the following:
"The plaza is a mainstay in this community where I have lived for 40 years plus. I smell another Clif Gilles (sic) move here. We do not need 30 more detached homes with front yards the size of postage stamps."
Cliff Gyles, the person referenced in Mcgurk's letter, is a former city councillor. He served time in a federal prison after he was found guilty of taking bribes while in office.
Parrish's response letter cut right to the chase:
"You are a cranky constituent - insulting to say the least. The Cliff Gyles reference was obnoxious. I suspect from your tone, others may find your opinions equally rude so I'm not concerned greatly regarding your opinions of me."
When confronted by CTV Toronto, Parrish defended what she said. "I'm here as a public servant, I'm not here to take abuse," she told CTV. "I've never taken a bribe and I don't want to be treated like a crook."
It's not all too surprising to hear a blunt response from Parrish, a councillor who is rarely hesitant to voice her opinion.
However, it's evident both sides are in the wrong here. An accusation of bribery is very heavy, especially without any proof. But city councillors should main some level of professionalism, at least when talking to the people they represent.
Parrish also insists that the new development is a good thing, calling the plaza an eyesore and saying the new, affordable housing units will be the largest in the area. At least bigger than a postage stamp, we can assume.
- AMBER ALERT CANCELLED: 11 Year Old Girl Abducted by Father Found Deceased
- Police Seeking Man Who Abducted His Daughter in Mississauga
- AMBER ALERT: Police Looking for Man Who Abducted Daughter in Mississauga
- Mississauga School Does Random Acts of Kindness in Memory of Young Car Crash Victim
- Extreme Cold and Snow Returning to Mississauga Very Soon
- Mississauga City Councillor Accused of Discrimination
- Former City Council Candidate Files Complaint Against Mississauga Councillor
- Mississauga Councillor Accused of Racially Insensitive Remarks about Police Officer
- Mississauga Councillors Appoints Former Councillor in Ward 1
- Brand New Affordable Housing Development Coming to Mississauga