What Streetsville Looked Like Back in the Day
Streetsville is pretty quaint and even fairly modern right now, but it’s got a ton of history (which probably doesn’t surprise anyone),
When the survey of the northern portion of Toronto Township was completed in 1819, survey contractor Timothy Street received permission to build a saw and grist mill.
By 1825, six years after the first settlers came into this part of Toronto Township a thriving community containing grist and saw mills, a tannery and a distillery had developed here on the CreditRiver.
Named after Timothy Street, who began several of the early industries and donated the land for the church and cemetery, Streetsville had a population of 500 by 1837 and was the largest village in the Home District.
Streetsville was incorporated as a village, with about 1000 inhabitants, in 1858, and became a town in 1962. In 1974 Streetsville became part of the new city of Mississauga, but has managed to retain its identity as a commercial and industrial centre.
Today it is home to our city’s largest concentration of historic buildings.
Dandie Store, Streetsville, c1900
Franklin House Hotel, Streetsville, c1900
Graydon Block, Queen Street, Streetsville, south, c1900
Graydon Store, Queen Street looking south, c1900
Loyal Orange Lodge gathering, Streetsville, c1925
Queen Street, looking south, Streetsville, c1900
Queen Street, Streetsville, looking north from Thomas Street, c1920
Robinson-Bray House, Streetsville, c1925
The Globe Hotel, Streetsville, Queen Street looking south, c1880
Queen Street, Streetsville, looking south, c1905
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Anti-masker's racist rant in Mississauga grocery store
- Man threatened staff at Mississauga clinic after being asked to wear a mask: Police
- T&T CEO and Bonnie Crombie address racist tirade at Mississauga grocery store
- Toy store with locations in Mississauga files for bankruptcy
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: 407 closed due to massive fire