Well-Known Bakery Fined After Worker Critically Injured in Mississauga
A well-known bakery brand is being fined after a worker sustained critical injuries in Mississauga.
The Ministry of Labour recently announced that Ace Bakeries is facing a $55,000 fine following an incident that took place at the company's Secretariat Court facility.
The province says a worker suffered critical injuries after a bread machine activated while the employee was performing maintenance work on the machine.
The incident occurred on Aug. 8, 2017.
As for what happened, the province says the guillotine knife on the machine in question needed to be adjusted so that the knife would cut the dough evenly.
The worker was fixing the machine in the presence of a supervisor and a senior director of product development. In order the fix the machine, the worker first opened a safety gate that's interlocked to prevent the machine from starting during maintenance.
The ministry says the worker then opened the doors to a mechanical cabinet on the machine in order to access mechanical components to make the adjustments. These cabinet doors were not equipped with interlocks and the worker did not activate the emergency stop button, shut down or lock out the machinery.
While the worker and the senior director of product development were working, the supervisor closed the interlocked safety gate. This caused the bread machine to activate and cycle.
The ministry says the worker received crushing injuries while caught between one of the machine’s moving parts and the frame of the bread machine. The machine was stopped and the worker was taken to hospital for treatment.
The province says Ace Bakery failed to ensure the machine would not start during maintenance.
Following a guilty plea, the company was fined. The court also imposed a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge as required by the Provincial Offences Act.
The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak declared at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga
- BREAKING: Peel Medical Officer of Health apologizes for massive COVID-19 test result error
- PHOTOS: What you should know about COVID-19 assessment sites in Mississauga
- VIDEO: People going nuts for Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Mississauga
- Peel District School Board shares plan for continued learning during COVID-19 school closure
- Company Fined $75,000 After Worker Injured in Mississauga
- Mississauga Company Fined After Worker Critically Injured in Workplace Incident
- Company Facing Huge Fine After Worker Critically Injured in Mississauga
- Mississauga Company Fined After Worker Sustains Critical Injuries
- Company Fined After Worker Struck by Flying Metal in Mississauga