Weather Warning Currently in Effect for Mississauga
While we aren't worried about ice and snow anymore (at least we hope we don't have to be!), weather warnings aren’t quite a thing of the past.
In fact, there's a special weather statement in effect for Halton and Peel (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills) right now.
Environment Canada is warning residents that strong and gusty southwest winds will pick up this afternoon and persist into the evening.
The weather agency says a deepening low pressure system racing across Lake Huron and Georgian Bay later today will bring some shower and thunderstorm activity, along with strong and gusty southwest winds.
We can expect wind gusts of 70 to 80 km/h across much of the region this afternoon.
"As a cold front blasts through Southern Ontario later today, a few higher wind gusts approaching 90 km/h are possible," Environment Canada says. "The wind gusts are strong enough to cause minor tree and building damage. A few local power outages are possible."
Environment Canada says the winds will shift to northwest in the wake of the front by this evening, then diminish quickly later tonight as a high pressure ridge moves in.
So be sure to secure any outdoor furniture and be prepared for potential power outages.
- VIDEO: Canada Post truck rollover leads to major delays on 401 in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Aftermath of double fatal collision in Mississauga
- Brief foot pursuit leads to arrest of Mississauga man after a pair of pharmacy robberies
- Frost advisory in effect for Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton and Milton
- $100,000 prize for Brampton winner of Big Brother Canada