UPDATE: One Person Dead Following Serious Multi-Vehicle Highway Crash in Mississauga
A fatality has been reported in connection to a highway collision this evening.
Shortly after 10:00 p.m., OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt reported that a vehicle was struck by a transport truck on Highway 401 eastbound near Dixie.
“Initial reports are that a vehicle was travelling eastbound on Highway 401 in the collectors lane, drove past a transport truck, somehow lost control and collided with that transport truck, causing it to go into the express lanes, roll over and burst into flames,” Schmidt reports.
Schmidt says the vehicle was completely consumed by fire. A third vehicle involved in the crash was also significantly damaged.
One person has been pronounced dead in this incident, with five others taken to hospital with varying injuries.
Highway 401's collector and express lanes remain closed from Hurontario towards Dixie.
Significant clean up is expected to take the better part of the night, Schmidt says.
Residents are asked to avoid the area and take alternate routes.
Photo via Sgt. Kerry Schmidt @OPP_HSD
- Here’s when Mississauga’s newest park will be opening
- Trudeau attends Mississauga rally in bulletproof vest due to security threats
- Walmart launches brand new (and super fast) delivery service in Mississauga
- One Beer Store location will remain open in Mississauga on Thanksgiving
- These Are Some of the Strangest Objects Found on the GO Train
- PHOTOS: One Man Dead After Transport Truck Crash in Mississauga
- Highway Crash Prompts Massive Vehicle Fire in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Transport Truck Rollover Causing Highway Delays in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Vehicle Travelling Wrong Way Involved in Fatal Crash in Mississauga
- Part of Major Highway Closed in Mississauga After Truck Jack Knife