UPDATE: One Person Dead Following Serious Multi-Vehicle Highway Crash in Mississauga
A fatality has been reported in connection to a highway collision this evening.
Shortly after 10:00 p.m., OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt reported that a vehicle was struck by a transport truck on Highway 401 eastbound near Dixie.
“Initial reports are that a vehicle was travelling eastbound on Highway 401 in the collectors lane, drove past a transport truck, somehow lost control and collided with that transport truck, causing it to go into the express lanes, roll over and burst into flames,” Schmidt reports.
Schmidt says the vehicle was completely consumed by fire. A third vehicle involved in the crash was also significantly damaged.
One person has been pronounced dead in this incident, with five others taken to hospital with varying injuries.
Highway 401's collector and express lanes remain closed from Hurontario towards Dixie.
Significant clean up is expected to take the better part of the night, Schmidt says.
Residents are asked to avoid the area and take alternate routes.
Photo via Sgt. Kerry Schmidt @OPP_HSD
- PHOTOS: One Man Dead After Transport Truck Crash in Mississauga
- Highway Crash Prompts Massive Vehicle Fire in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Transport Truck Rollover Causing Highway Delays in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Vehicle Travelling Wrong Way Involved in Fatal Crash in Mississauga
- Part of Major Highway Closed in Mississauga After Truck Jack Knife
- McDonald’s showing appreciation for Canadian teachers
- Brampton driving school instructor charged with sexual offences
- COVID-19: Ontario reports 625 new cases and on track for 1,000 a day, modelling shows
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 29
- Many businesses forced to freeze salaries next year due to pandemic