Transit becomes one integrated system across Niagara Region next month
Published December 7, 2022 at 3:31 pm
The new integrated transit system across Niagara Region starts in January.
After gaining approval last year, the existing Niagara Region Transit, Niagara Falls Transit, St. Catharines Transit, Welland Transit and Fort Erie Transit will operate under one transit operator.
Starting Jan. 1, Niagara Region Transit will connect all of Niagara through a single transit system.
Under the new transit system, adult riders will pay $3 to travel within one municipality or $6 to ride from one community to another.
The $6 fare allows you to travel in one continuous direction along the shortest route, making as many transfers as needed to reach your destination.
For example, a rider can board a local bus in Niagara Falls, transfer to a Niagara Region Transit bus to get to St. Catharines, and then transfer to a St. Catharines Transit bus to complete their journey — all for just the one regional fare, Niagara Region notes on its website.
But there will be some growing pains, as starting on Dec. 10, some local transit passes will not be available for purchase.
Leading up to the new consolidated transit system, Niagara Region Transit will undergo a transitional period to align local transit fares.
The last dates to purchase local transit tickets and passes are:
- Last day to buy monthly/30/31 day passes is Dec. 10, 2022
- Last day to buy existing 10-ride passes is Dec. 27, 2022
- One-ride and day passes are available until Dec. 31, 2022
Transit users can start buying Niagara Transit Commission passes in-person on Dec. 28, 2022. However, the passes cannot be used until Jan. 2, 2023. The passes are $160 for adults. A 10-ride card is $45.
Transit users can buy tickets through the Transit App starting Jan. 1, 2023.
Where to buy a transit pass:
- Buy a transit pass online
- St. Catharines Bus Terminal: Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 10:15 a.m. – 5:15 p.m. (contactless fare payment is preferred)
- St. Catharines Transit Office: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (contactless fare payments is preferred)
- Welland Bus Terminal: Monday to Saturday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- WEGO Building: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Morrison / Dorchester Hub (pop up location): Wednesdays only, 8:30 a.m. – noon and 1 – 4 p.m.
- MacBain Centre: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Niagara Falls City Hall: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
For more information, visit the Niagara Region website.
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising
Starting Jan. 1, transit in Niagara will merge to one transit system resulting in changes to the current transit fare structure. On Dec. 10, some transit passes will not be available for purchase.
— Niagara Region (@NiagaraRegion) December 7, 2022