Three GTA Theatres Including Mississauga Evacuated Over the Weekend
If you decided to check out a movie at a GTA theatre this weekend, you might have gotten a noxious and unwanted surprise.
Three movie theatres -- the Cineplex in City Centre, a SilverCity in Brampton and a theatre in Scarborough -- had to be evacuated on Friday night after a noxious odour made multiple theatre-goers sick.
According to a recent CityNews article, Peel police said they received a call for the Rathburn Cineplex around 7:20 p.m. for a chemical vapour. They received another call five minutes later for a similar complaint in Brampton. Toronto police have confirmed that someone set off pepper spray in a Scarborough theatre around 7:20 as well.
CityNews reports that paramedics said they treated three people at the scene in Mississauga and that one affected patron at the Brampton theatre was transported to hospital. The Brampton fire department said the odour was caused by pepper spray.
According to a Saturday story in the Toronto Sun, both Toronto and Peel police are looking into possible connections between the eerily similar incidents. The Sun also reports that it's not known as this time whether the attacks were coordinated or the timing was coincidental.
People affected by the substance experienced burning and swelling of the eyes, throat and nose as well as nausea.
Police are asking anyone with any information to come forward.
As of Sunday night, there were no updates regarding the cause of the incidents.
- 3 GTA Theatres Including Mississauga Evacuated Over the Weekend
- A Movie Might Have Been a Factor in Theatre Evacuation
- Suspicious Attacks Prompt Cineplex to Pull Film From Theatres Again
- Due to Noxious Substance Attacks Mississauga Might Miss Out on International Movies
- You Can Now Get Movie Theatre Popcorn Delivered to Your Home in Mississauga
- BREAKING: AMBER Alert issued for two girls last seen in Kitchener
- Mississauga home involved in part of large fentanyl seizure
- Police looking for missing vulnerable female last seen in Mississauga
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 28
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 28