This is one of the last long weekends to enjoy Mississauga's ideal selfie spot in Mississauga
The sunflowers are in full bloom!
In case you haven’t heard, the gorgeous sight of about a million sunflowers — as well as 1,600 feet of original artwork from 19 artists in the GTA — is currently on display at Lakeview Village.
Planted by the developers behind Lakeview Village, the ambitious mixed-use development planned on the shores of Lake Ontario, the sunflowers first began attracting people from all over the GTA (because who doesn’t want a gorgeous photo in a field of tall flowers?) in 2019.
It’s currently one of the best spots in the city for a uniquely amazing selfie. Why not stop by this long weekend?
Last year, Lakeview Community Partners (LCP) announced that it planted 25 pounds of sunflower seeds over 71 acres, for an estimated 1 million sunflower blooms in five distinct areas of the site. LCP said it’s part of remediation efforts on the site, as sunflowers are “phytoremediators” that purify the soil by absorbing toxins.
As far as the artwork goes, LCP and Artscape Atelier recently revealed the names of the 19 GTA artists who were selected for the project.
LCP says Ryan Longo (sculptor), Raquel Da Silva (visual artist), Lynn Taylor (painter), Duke Redbird (poet), Daniela Rocha (a visual artist who also uses the alias Planta Muisca), and 14 muralists—including several from Mississauga—have been chosen to animate the Lakeview Village site with art. Some of their pieces can be seen below:
Etude by Aitak Sorahitalab
Time to Let the Flowers Bloom by Caitlin Taguibao
Consume Less, Create More. by FaithFetish
“We are extremely excited to unveil these unique art installations and to welcome back the community to experience the stunning work of local artists,” said Brian Sutherland, Director of Development, Argo Development Corporation, and development lead for Lakeview Village, in a statement.
The site is free and accessible to all residents, and parking is available at 800 Hydro Road near Lakeshore.
All photos courtesy of LCPL
- PHOTOS: A look at the newest selfie spot in Mississauga
- It’s Your Last Chance to Visit a Perfect Selfie Spot in Mississauga
- The perfect selfie spot is taking shape in Mississauga
- Mississauga Waterfront Village Awarded Best New Community
- Mississauga's upcoming waterfront development will be home to new feature
- UPDATE: Brampton teen drowns in Halton Hills area
- Mississauga enters first stage of reopening as COVID-19 restrictions loosen across Ontario
- What's open at Square One mall in Mississauga
- Mississauga, Brampton vaccine clinics taking place this weekend
- Motorcyclist dead following late-night crash in Brampton