One Brampton neighbourhood has the highest COVID-19 percent positivity in Ontario
Six areas in Brampton are among those with the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rates (percentage of positive COVID-19 tests in the area) in Ontario, according to recent data from Toronto-based research group ICES.
ICES listed postal code areas in Ontario with the highest percent positivity rates for the week of March 7 to 13.
Of the top 50 listed, six are in Brampton (compared to seven during the previous week):
L6P at 12.95% (area of The Gore and Castlemore)
1st highest percent positivity area in Ontario (19th highest during previous week)
L6T at 9.66% (area of Highway 407 and Airport Rd)
6th highest percent positivity area in Ontario (not listed during previous week)
L6S at 7.90% (area of Williams Pkwy and Bramalea Rd)
26th highest percent positivity area in Ontario (31st during previous week)
L6W at 7.82% (area of Steeles Ave E and Kennedy Rd S)
29th highest percent positivity area in Ontario (not listed during previous week)
L6R at 7.71% (area of Sandalwood Pkwy E and Torbram)
31st highest percent positivity area in Ontario (36th highest during previous week)
L6X at 6.82% (area of Williams Pkwy and James Potter Rd)
49th highest percent positivity area in Ontario (46th during previous week)
“For all Ontario residents, the overall percent positivity among those tested for COVID-19 during the week of March 7 was 3.1% (versus 2.7% the previous week),” ICES reported. “The percent positivity was lower among persons living in long-term care homes (0.2%), compared to those not living in long-term care (3.1%).”
When asked about the Castlemore area having the highest COVID-19 percent positivity in the province, Brampton mayor Patrick Brown said it was part of the nature of the work happening in the region, and said Brampton needs vaccines and resources to help deal with the pandemic.
“My heart goes out to these people that are facing a higher risk of COVID,” said Brown. “They’ve enabled the country to function during the last year; we need to have their back too.”
The same data indicates that out of all of Ontario’s 34 public health units, Peel had the second highest COVID-19 percent positivity for the week.
The full data is available to read here.
- Eight Brampton areas still have Ontario's highest COVID-19 percent positivity
- Two Mississauga neighbourhoods among those with highest COVID-19 percent positivity
- Six areas in Mississauga have some of the highest COVID-19 percent positivity in Ontario
- Seven Brampton postal codes have some of the highest COVID-19 percent positivity in Ontario
- Seven areas with the highest COVID-19 percent positivity are in Brampton
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Police make arrest in assualt case at a Mississauga park
- Pfizer says third dose of COVID-19 vaccine very effective against Delta variant
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Over 80 per cent of eligible Ontarians have now received at least one dose