Swanky accommodations could be the key to luring Mississauga residents into COVID isolation units
Now that more COVID-19 isolation centres are opening up in Mississauga and other parts of Peel Region, the task becomes how to get people to use them.
One way is to show how nice they are, as can be seen by an Instagram post by Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie.
One of the new locations that can be used by anyone in Peel Region is located in the Malton neighbourhood in Mississauga, and although the exact location is not being revealed by Peel’s health department, it looks like those who are isolating will be put up in a pretty nice hotel, likely somewhere near the airport. There is no charge to use the isolation unit as the costs are being covered by various levels of government, and no OHIP health card is required.
This newest centre will open this Monday, January 18.
The room comes with its own bathroom, a queen-size bed with a sofa and/or twin beds, television, WiFi, telephone and three meals daily are provided. Transportation to and from the location is also available.
You can stay for the full 14 days of self-isolation or when you receive a negative COVID-19 test result. Children under the age of 16 will stay with a parent or guardian.
But if you are thinking this could be an opportunity for an all-expenses-paid vacation for two weeks, there are some stipulations.
The isolation centres are meant for those who have COVID-19 and cannot safely isolate in their own home.
According to information from the Region of Peel, to qualify a person must meet the following criteria:
* Have tested positive for COVID-19 or may have COVID-19, or are a vulnerable household contact of someone who has COVID-19.
* Can’t safely self-isolate at home away from others in your household.
* Are 16 years or older (or will stay at the isolation centre with a parent or guardian).
* Agree to stay at the centre for up to 14 days.
* Can complete daily activities (such as walking with or without an assistive device, bathing and dressing yourself, eating and drinking) with minimal support or supervision.
You can be referred to this program by hospital staff or public health.
Call Peel Region Human Services at 905-281-1269 to sign up or to get more details about the program.
- New COVID-19 isolation centre now open in Peel; more coming soon
- Region of Peel to receive funding for COVID-19 isolation centre
- More COVID-19 isolation spaces set to open in Mississauga
- Province announces new COVID-19 isolation centres coming soon
- Region of Peel calls flyer asking Mississauga parents to completely isolate their COVID-positive children a “mistake”
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic opens in Mississauga
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Mississauga residents 80 and older can now book their vaccines
- Special weather statement in effect for Mississauga and Brampton