Students of colour can more easily access advanced programming in Mississauga schools
Published November 12, 2020 at 6:17 pm
New opportunities are available at The Peel District School Board’s Regional Learning Choices Programs (RLCP) for students of colour.
According to a release, The RLCP is introducing a new self-identification process for secondary regional program applications.
As part of the board’s commitment to equity and inclusion, and to address significant disproportionalities in enrollment and equitable representation of African, Black, First Nations, Inuit, and Métis students, the RLCP application will include a new self-identification section.
The release states that all African, Black, First Nations, Inuit, and Métis students who self-identify on the application form and meet the criteria for admission will be accepted into the program without participating in the random selection process.
The random selection process is based on a two-step process which you can read about here.
Students can explore their skills in an area of interest such as the arts, business, technology, sports, skilled trades and leadership.
Students who are in an elementary RLCP and who are interested in a secondary RLCP will need to self-identify again when applying, as it’s a separate process and students do not automatically gain admittance to the program.
There will be a non-refundable application fee and an annual program fee and all secondary RLCP application fees are $40.00 except for the Transportation Engineering and Technology which is offered at no cost.
According to the Secondary RLCP page, most program fees are $200.00 with three exceptions which are an advanced placement program fee for $250.00, an international Baccalaureate program fee for $250.00 and a regional Skilled Trades which is offered at no cost.
Financial supports are available for families who are interested in applying for RLC programs.
The release states that some regional programs are offered at multiple schools and students must select the regional program site within their boundary based on home address.
The 11 Secondary RLCP are offered in the following secondary schools and transportation is not provided for students in regional programs.
• Advanced Placement (AP) – offered at Central Peel SS and John Fraser SS
• Arts – offered at Cawthra Park SS and Mayfield SS
• Graphic and Design Management – offered at T.L. Kennedy SS
• International Baccalaureate (IB) – offered at Erindale SS, Harold M. Brathwaite SS, Glenforest SS and Turner Fenton SS
• International Business and Technology (IBT) – offered at Meadowvale SS, North Park SS and T.L. Kennedy SS
• International and Executive Leadership Academy – offered at T.L. Kennedy SS
• Regional Skilled Trades – offered at West Credit SS and Judith Nyman SS
• Regional Sports – offered at Applewood Heights SS
• SciTech – offered at Chinguacousy SS and Port Credit SS
• Strings – offered at Central Peel SS and Port Credit SS
• Transportation Engineering and Technology – offered at Bramalea SS
To learn about each secondary regional program, application process and to apply, visit the Secondary RLCP pageinsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising