Some Residents Can Get Help with Snow Clearing in Mississauga
It's much too early to be thinking about snow (August has just begun and we have lots of summer weather left to enjoy, after all), but winter is an inevitability here and many residents start worrying about snow clearing during the warmer months.
Fortunately for some residents, help is available.
The City of Mississauga recently announced that some Mississauga residents can start applying for the city's Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program.
The program provides snow clearing assistance by clearing a space in the windrow for residents 65 years or older and for people with physical disabilities.
A windrow is a pile of snow left at the end of a driveway after a snow plow has cleared a road. Eligible residents have until 9 p.m. on November 8, 2019, to apply for this year's program.
You can see an example of a windrow here:
"We encourage eligible residents to take advantage of this opportunity so that snow clearing and getting out of their driveway is made easier for them this winter," said Mickey Frost, director, Works Operations and Maintenance. "As this program only accepts a maximum of 300 applicants on a first-come-first-serve basis, residents should apply as soon as they can to secure their spot."
According to the city, the program will run from December 2, 2019, to March 27, 2020.
Windrow snow clearing will be completed up to 36 hours after a snowfall has ended, and a space in the windrow will be cleared (about three metres or 10 feet wide) to allow one car to get in and out of the driveway.
The program is free for eligible residents who require financial assistance and costs $200 for those who don't.
Only one person per address can apply.
Completed applications can be submitted to any community centre, the Mississauga Seniors' Centre or the Recreation Customer Service Centre located at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre.
- Here's what you need to know about the new regulations for airlines
- Popular gourmet American doughnut shop opening first Ontario location in Mississauga
- Police search for missing Mississauga woman
- Huge (and mysterious) changes coming to one of Mississauga’s most popular pizza joints
- Walmart opens brand new facility in Mississauga
- Some Residents Can Apply for City’s Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program
- Some Residents Eligible for Free Snow Clearing in Mississauga
- Select Residents Eligible for Free Snow Clearing in Mississauga
- Some Residents Eligible for Financial Assistance Programs in Mississauga
- Major Changes Coming to Snow Clearing in Mississauga