Some Mississauga Students are Dating to Pay Off Student Loans
Would you trade sex or romance for a break on your substantial student loans?
It appears that a good chunk of University of Toronto (which has campuses in Toronto, Scarborough and Mississauga) students would.
According to a recent report released by Seeking Arrangement, a popular dating site that pairs young "sugar babies" with wealthier (and often older) "sugar daddies" and "sugar mommas," a huge number of sugar babies are Ontario university students.
Seeking Arrangement recently completed its annual report on what it calls Sugar Baby universities—a report that outlines where the fastest growing populations of sugar babies are attending college.
"The number of Canadians seeking a higher education has increased exponentially in recent years. While attaining a degree will increase future earning potential, the associated costs can cause financial strain that continues well past graduation," Seeking Arrangement said in a statement.
"Nearly a quarter-of-a-million students in Canada are now registered on the world's largest Sugar Daddy dating site in hopes of meeting wealthy benefactors who can help shoulder some of that burden."
I guess that's one way to put a dent in your student loans?
As for what universities housed the most sugar babies in 2017, Seeking Arrangement says the University of Ottawa topped the list with 703 site members enrolled in programs at the school.
The University of Alberta ranked second, Ryerson University ranked third, the University of Toronto ranked fourth and University of Western Ontario came in at number five.
"Three in four Canadian graduates under the age of 40 say they have regrets about taking student loans, and the average financial aid debt amounts to $22,084 on average per student," Seeking Arrangement says. "The average monthly allowance in Canada is $2,850, so it's easy to understand why so many students are taking this innovative approach."
In this case, the "allowance" refers to the money offered by the sugar daddy/momma.
Seeking Arrangement points out that tuition fees are a definite hardship for students, with undergraduate students paying up to $6,373 in the 2016/17 school year.
Whether more students will turn to Seeking Arrangement or other money-minded dating sites to cope with rising tuition (and living, let's be honest) costs in the future remains to be seen, but the numbers do give one something to think about.
- University Students In Mississauga Use Dating To Reduce Student Debt
- Some university students in Mississauga are dating older partners to pay off debt
- More Than One-Third of College and University Students Receiving Free Tuition Grants in Ontario
- Province Making Changes to Student Loans in Mississauga and Beyond
- This is the Most Expensive City for University Students in Canada
- Ontario ticket holder wins $70 million Lotto Max jackpot
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- House of the Week: $2.2 mil Sheridan home with stunning backyard
- Brampton school sends 18 staff members home over COVID-19 scare
- 5 areas in Mississauga that have the highest COVID-19 percent positivity