Snow and frigid temperatures set to return in southern Ontario this week

By

Published February 11, 2024 at 7:38 pm

Residents in Mississauga, Brampton, Halton, and Hamilton should prepare for wintry weather in the coming week as forecasts predict the return of snow and freezing temperatures.

Last week, dense fog and chilly temperatures dominated the region. However, by the end of the week, the weather shifted into sunny skies while unseasonably warm conditions swept across southern Ontario. These soaring temperatures even broke historical records in several cities.

As of today (Feb. 11) it will be mainly cloudy with daytime temperatures sitting at 2 C. By the evening, partly cloudy skies are expected with wind speeds increasing to 15 km/h. Temperatures may drop to -2 C but it will feel much colder, around -4 C.

Monday morning brings a mix of sunny and cloudy breaks with cool temperatures starting at -4 C. As the day progresses, temperatures are anticipated to increase by about 9 degrees, reaching a high of 4 C.

Towards the evening, skies will become partly cloudy as temperatures gradually decline to -5 C. There’s also a possibility of a brisk wind of 15 km/h.

According to Environment Canada, Tuesday will be predominantly cloudy with daytime temperatures hovering around 0 C. There is also a 30 per cent chance of snow, although the exact accumulation is unknown. Closer to the evening, temperatures will plummet to a frigid -11 C — making it the coldest night compared to the week.

Videos

Wednesday will bring sunshine and clear skies as temperatures peak at 0 C. By the evening, cloudy periods will set in as temperatures move to a crisp -9 C.

The Weather Network calls for a cloudy Thursday with a daytime high of no more than 0 C and a 40 per cent chance of snow. Temperatures will hit a low of -6 C by the evening with a 60 per cent possibility of flurries.

The cloudy weather pattern returns on Friday. Meteorologists predict temperatures to reach a high of minus 1 with a 40 per cent chance of snow. The cloudiness will persist into the evening as temperatures slip to -9 C.

Saturday is expected to be overcast once again with temperatures remaining below zero throughout the day. Daytime temperatures will hold steady at -1 C, later dipping to -6 C in the evening. While it will be cold, no snow or rain is anticipated.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising