SIU Closes Investigation into Man Injured When Arrested by Police
The Special Investigations Unit has terminated the investigation into an arrest that Peel Police made in Mississauga.
The incident happened on Thursday evening, May 2, when police received information regarding an assault and alleged threats being made by a 29 year old Mississauga man.
Officers arrived at the establishment and the man fled, but was later arrested and taken to hospital with an injury.
Due to the nature of the incident, the SIU began to investigate, but the man reportedly declined to provide them with any information regarding his interaction with police.
It’s also reported that the man would not give investigators written authorization to obtain his medical information relevant to the incident.
The Interim Director of the Special Investigations Unit, Joseph Martino, has terminated the investigation as a result.
"In the absence of a statement from the man and an authorization from him permitting the release of medical records, the SIU is unable to confirm the nature and extent of the injuries he suffered, much less proceed with an investigation into the potential criminal liability of the officers who arrested him on May 2, 2019,” Martino says.
“Accordingly, the investigation is hereby discontinued and the file closed."
- Part of 401 Closed in Mississauga After Propane Tanks Fell From Transport Truck
- Mississauga Hotel Reopens With Brand New Look and Trendy Burger Restaurant
- Two Mississauga Women Celebrating Big Lotto Win
- Major Changes Coming to City Hall in Mississauga
- Peel Police Asking For Public's Help In Connection To Shooting In Mississauga
- No Charges Laid After Woman Hospitalized Following Arrest in Mississauga
- SIU Closes Case of Possible Police Shooting in Mississauga
- Special Investigations Unit Charges Peel Police Officer
- Police Arrest Individual After Threats Made Against Mississauga School
- Peel Police Arrest 38-Year-Old Man In Connection To Human Trafficking Investigation