Search continues for Canadian military helicopter that crashed in Mediterranean
Greece's Prime Minister has expressed his condolences as the search continues for a Canadian military helicopter that crashed into the Mediterranean Sea during a NATO exercise.
"I express my grief over the crash of the Canadian helicopter in the Ionian Sea last night," Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said Thursday, speaking in parliament.
Mitsotakis said he would contact Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to express his condolences.
Greek state broadcaster ERT was first to report that a Canadian military helicopter had gone down in the water between Italy and Greece on Wednesday.
The broadcaster later said one body had been found and five others on board were missing.
The Canadian Armed Forces say the Cyclone was deployed onboard the Halifax-class frigate HMCS Fredericton.
Cyclone helicopters carry a crew of four, including two pilots, a tactical operator, and a sensor operator with space for several passengers.
They are primarily based on naval vessels and used for hunting submarines, surveillance, and search and rescue.
The CAF has not confirmed how many people were on board the aircraft at the time of the crash, but say they have contacted family members for each of the crew.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 30, 2020.
-- With files from The Associated Press
- Military reports more than 220 Canadian troops caught COVID-19
- Canadian military postpones, curtails numerous overseas missions due to COVID-19
- Canadian Armed Forces to be deployed in Ontario to assist in fighting COVID-19
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Two Canadian Forces members test positive for COVID-19
- Looks like Mississauga and Brampton will be moving into grey lockdown zone on March 9
- Man delivering food in Mississauga robbed: Peel Police
- Mississauga men celebrating big lotto wins as the machine froze
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga had 24 international and 4 domestic flights with COVID-19 cases
- Change coming to waste collection in Mississauga this month