Ridiculously Cold Weather Set to Hit Mississauga for New Year's
If you think it’s been cold in Mississauga this week, prepare yourself, because it’s about to get even colder!
Many cities in Ontario — Mississauga included — have been under an extreme cold weather alert for the last little while now, with temperatures feeling like -20 C. Now, The Weather Network is predicting it could feel like -30 C for New Year’s across the province.
You have the Polar Vortex to thank for this New Year’s forecast.
According to The Weather Network, a blast of Arctic air straight from Siberia could break record temperatures on Dec. 31, 2017 and Jan. 1, 2018.
As a result, temperatures are forecasted to be in the - 20 C range, with windchills that could make it feel in the - 30 C range.
There is also some risk for snow and potential whiteout conditions during the last few days of 2017 and into 2018.
“The frigid weather will continue into the first several days of 2018, but the pattern is expected to relax as head into the second week of January,” said The Weather Network’s meteorologist Dr. Doug Gillham in a recent statement.
It’s no secret that extreme cold weather puts people and pets at risk.
- Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.
- Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.
- Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.
- Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.
- Keep emergency supplies in your vehicle such as extra blankets and jumper cables.
- If it's too cold for you to stay outside, it's too cold for your pet to stay outside.
- Outdoor workers should take regularly scheduled breaks to warm up.
- Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.
It might be a good idea to cancel your New Year’s Eve plans and hibernate indoors with some hot tea, your loved ones and your pet instead this year!
- Mississauga Uber Driver Arrested After Two Sexual Assault Incidents
- This is Where Mississauga Ranks on the List of Canada’s Most Dangerous Cities
- 5 “Haunted” Conspiracy Theories That Exist In Mississauga
- Top 5 Chinese Takeout Joints in Mississauga
- UPDATE on CLOSURE: Popular Japanese/Korean Restaurant in Mississauga Closed for Health Violations