Restaurant in Square One in Mississauga appears to have closed down for good
A popular international restaurant helmed by a beloved celebrity chef has seemingly shuttered its doors for good in Square One in Mississauga.
Jamie's Italian, a franchise operation that stemmed from British chef Jamie Oliver's UK-based brand, the Jamie Oliver Restaurant Group, appears to be closing down for good amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Although signage outside the restaurant only mentions a temporary pandemic-related closure, the resto's branding has been removed and the chain's official website no longer lists any Canadian locations at all.
While it's not clear why the Square One location appears to be closing for good, the effect the lockdown has had on the hospitality businesses has been pronounced. In fact, a recent Restaurants Canada survey found that the majority of foodservice businesses across Canada who participated in the survey are still losing money and could take at least a year to return to profitability.
The Jamie Oliver Restaurant Group also took a blow in 2019 when 22 of the brand's UK restaurants closed. At the time, the Guardian said the UK closures did not extend to the brand’s franchised locations overseas.
The restaurant opened to a great deal of fanfare four years ago, boasting a sizeable wood-filled interior with high exposed ceilings, a brightly lit bar/lounge area and large windows that opened into the shopping centre.
The menu featured house-made pasta dishes and entrees made with free-range meats.
It is not yet known what might replace the restaurant.
- Celebrity Chef Jamie Oliver to Open a Restaurant in Mississauga
- Jamie Oliver's Italian Is Set to Finally Open in Mississauga
- 5 Most Shocking Recent Restaurant Closures in Mississauga
- Popular Filipino Restaurant Shuts Down in Mississauga
- Many restaurant owners believe it could take a year before their businesses return to profitability
- Police investigating after body found in storage facility in Mississauga
- Take a Left for Some of the Best Restaurants and Cafés in Mississauga
- A look at one of Mississauga’s best known--and most quaint--neighbourhoods
- The Lost Village of Summerville
- Face-coverings now required in common areas of condos and apartment buildings in Mississauga