Public School Set to Close at the End of the Month
It’s a sad farewell to a place where many have learned, taught, and generally shared some great experiences.
Elmcrest Public School is set to close after its last day of classes on June 30.
The Clarkson elementary school, which opened way back in 1960, has been forced to close its doors due to low enrolment.
Many had the chance to say a proper goodbye by attending the school’s final open house, held last week on Thursday night.
Hundreds of people (current and former students, staff, and parents alike) took one last trip down memory lane, going through old photos, a time capsule, and signing a memorial wall.
The open house included a performance by Gord Deppe, member of the Canadian band Spoons. Deppe’s children attended Elmcrest nearly 20 years ago.
Elmcrest was part of a Pupil Accommodation Review that called for several other schools to be closed down as well: Pheasant Run, King’s Masting, Ashgrove and Willow Glen public schools.
Willow Glen will also be closing at the end of the month. The rest of the aforementioned schools have already been closed.
Elmcrest and Willow Glen were originally supposed to close in June 2015, but were allowed to stay open for one more year due to construction at Hillside Senior Public School, which is where students of the two schools will be moved to this September.
- Gordon Graydon Memorial Secondary School Could Close
- Two More Schools Set to Close in Mississauga
- Classroom cancellations won’t prevent Peel public school students from learning this winter
- Public high schools in Mississauga set to close for one-day strike
- Many parents forced to adapt when it comes to getting their children to school
- Employees at two pharmacies and a grocery store in Mississauga have tested positive for COVID-19
- BREAKING: Changes coming to COVID-19 screening in Mississauga schools
- Police looking for 54 year old man last seen in Mississauga
- Utility companies warning of a scam threatening to leave Ontarians powerless and cold
- Peel police investigating after religious scriptures destroyed at Sikh temple