Province reports 2,142 new COVID-19 cases, 2,159 on Christmas Day
The province is reporting 2,142 new cases of COVID-19 today (Saturday, December 26) and 38 new deaths linked to the virus.
There are 541 new cases in Toronto, 344 in Peel, 262 in York Region, 136 in Hamilton, and 131 in Windsor-Essex.
Today’s case number is down from Christmas Day (December 25), which saw 2,159 new cases and 43 deaths reported.
Ontario’s province-wide lockdown, which was announced earlier this week, went into effect today.
Lockdown restrictions include no indoor organized public events or social gatherings permitted except with members of the same household. Outdoor gatherings are limited to 10 people as long as physical distancing is maintained.
Food or drink establishments can only offer takeout, delivery, and drive-thru services, while retail stores can only offer curbside pick-up and delivery. "Essential services" will remain open, but at 50 per cent capacity.
New restrictions include the closure of drive-in movie theatres and drive-in/drive-thru community events, hardware and pet stores limited to curbside pick up or delivery, and temporarily suspending in-class learning after the holidays for elementary and secondary school students.
“All Ontarians are advised to stay home as much as possible and limit trips outside of your home to necessities,” said Health Minister Christine Elliott.
- Province reporting 2,005 new cases of COVID-19 and 18 deaths
- Peel has 536 new cases of COVID-19 today as Ontario provides update on new restrictions
- Ontario reports 1,249 new COVID-19 cases today, and 12 new deaths from the virus
- BREAKING: Ontario reports new high of 3,363 COVID-19 cases; new record in Peel
- Ontario reports 2,123 new cases of COVID-19, 480 in Peel
- Mississauga and Brampton residents can expect changes to garbage collection
- Health Canada issues major recalls for products at Costco and various stores
- Drugs found at kids playland, 19 from Brampton busted as international trafficking ring smashed, police release all names
- COVID defiant gym stays open as Mississauga appears powerless
- ICU pressures mount as COVID fells younger people; Ottawa mulls India travel ban