Province reducing minimum prices at which restaurants can sell liquor
The pandemic has been hard on all businesses, but restaurants have been hit especially hard.
Those that can provide food for take out and delivery have been permitted to remain open, while those that cannot have had to close—some of them permanently.
However, the Province is taking steps to help the restaurants that are still providing takeout and delivery orders.
Ontario is allowing licensed restaurants to sell spirits with food orders at a lower price.
Effective immediately, whiskey, gin, rum and other spirits will be permitted to be sold at $1.34 per 29 mL, which is down from the regular price of $2 per mL.
This means, at these new rates, a 375 mL bottle can be sold for $17.32 per bottle, as opposed to $25.86 per bottle, while a 750 mL bottle can be sold for $34.65 per bottle, as opposed to $51.72.
“The AGCO continues to work closely with the Government of Ontario during the state of emergency to support Ontarians and the sectors we regulate,” Jean Major, registrar and CEO of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, said in a news release.
“The reduced minimum prices for bottles of spirits sold by licensed establishments, and the rule change for cidery retail are additional ways to support the hospitality sector as it deals with the effects of COVID-19,” he continued.
- Restaurants now able to sell alcohol with takeout amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Province encouraging Ontarians to support local breweries and wineries
- Cannabis retailers now permitted to provide delivery and curbside pick-up options
- Nearly 10 per cent of restaurants have had to close permanently due to COVID-19
- Here's how to win a lot of money playing spin the bottle in Mississauga
- Mississauga travel agency owner wins $1 million lotto prize
- Two employees at Mississauga grocery store test positive for COVID-19
- The perfect selfie spot is taking shape in Mississauga
- Ontario to introduce bill to extend some emergency measures over the next year
- Mississauga retiree enjoying big lotto win