Province investing in Ontario transit
The Province has announced it is investing $365.5 million to expand and improve transportation across the province.
Part of this funding will come from this year’s Gas Tax program, which will provide funding for 111 municipalities across 148 communities throughout Ontario.
The funding from the Gas Tax can be used towards improving infrastructure, increase accessibility, purchasing transit vehicles, adding more routes and extending hours of service.
“Investing in public transit is part of our plan to get Ontario moving,” Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation, said in a news release.
“From transit investment in the Greater Golden Horseshoe to adding more service in rural and northern communities—our government is committed to improving transit in every corner of the province,” she continued.
“We’re making life easier for millions of people across Ontario by helping to build new and reliable transit faster,” Mulroney added.
“The Ontario Public Transit Association is pleased that the Ontario government is continuing to support public transit through the Gas Tax program. This important investment in public transit will support healthy communities and improve quality of life for people across the province,” Karen Cameron, CEO of the Ontario Public Transit Association, said in the same release.
- Provinicial Government Announces Massive Funding to Improve Transit and Infrastructure
- Province providing $2 billion for transit systems in 110 municipalities across Ontario
- Here’s How Much Money Mississauga Will Receive for Transit Projects
- Ontario recommends wearing masks on public transit to curb COVID spread
- Brampton set to receive $23.5 million in transit funding from Queen's Park
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Police make arrest in assualt case at a Mississauga park
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Pfizer says third dose of COVID-19 vaccine very effective against Delta variant