Popular pizza chain unveiling new line of collectibles
Pizza Hut Canada is debuting a new line of digital collectibles.
Dubbed 1 Byte Favourites, the popular pizza chain announced they are launching the world's first “non-fungible pizza (NFP)--a play on non-fungible token, which is a unit of data stored on a blockchain or digital ledger.
As of Tuesday (March 16), Pizza Hut will be releasing a new, exclusive 8-bit pizza slice every day at noon, which will cost approximately the price of one real bite of pizza--0.0001 ETH (the cryptocurrency associated with the blockchain Ethereum).
Non-fungible tokens are a form of digital media whereby creation and ownership are verified using blockchain technology, which allows digital creations to become rare and collectible, similar to physical trading cards.
The NFPs will feature some of Canadians' favourite Pizza Hut recipes, including Hawaiian, Pepperoni, Canadian, and Margherita.
“We’re really excited to launch 1 Byte Favourites as an opportunity to give fans another way to get their hands on their favourite Pizza Hut recipes, even if it’s virtually,” Daniel Meynen, CMO for Pizza Hut Canada, said in a news release.
“It’s a fun way to deliver our Favourites on an emerging platform where people can truly appreciate the perfect pan pizza forever," he continued.
- Select Mississauga and Brampton residents between 18 and 49 can book vaccines this week
- Mass rollout of the 18+ vaccination sites in hotspots weeks away in Mississauga
- Couple charged following hate-related incident in parking lot in Mississauga
- Speed cushions to be installed on four Mississauga roads
- Mississauga and Brampton rolling out mobile vaccine clinics targeting essential workers