Police Warning of New Scam Targeting Specific Mississauga Residents
Police are warning Brampton and Mississauga residents to beware of a new scam that's targeting a specific group.
Peel police recently announced that the force's fraud bureau has discovered a new type of "grandparent scam" that specifically targets seniors.
Police say scam victims typically receive a phone call from an individual claiming to be a family member, usually a grandson. The victim is asked to purchase expensive 'Rolex' watches and is told that the watches are needed to pay back an outstanding debt (in some instances, they're told they're needed as a gift). The victim is directed to send the watch to an address, usually in Quebec, through a courier service.
They impress upon the victim that they do not want any other family members to know.
Police are asking residents who receive such calls to please verify the details of the request through another family member. Any requests for money by unverified parties on the phone should be treated suspiciously.
Here are some other tips to remember:
- If someone calls claiming to be a lawyer/attorney or police officer, they will not ask you for money/jewellery over the phone.
- Residents with elderly family members who live alone, or have published phone numbers, should make them aware of this.
- Residents, in general, should be cognizant of the fact that there are many fraudulent schemes out there, using the internet and phone calls to contact potential victims. Requests for money should be treated with caution and an appropriate amount of due diligence should be practiced.
To learn more about this scam, and other scams affecting Canadians, residents are encouraged to visit www.antifraudcentre.ca
Peel Regional Police also offer some more "Safety for Seniors" links which can be accessed here.
Anyone who has any information regarding this fraud is urged to contact the Fraud Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3335.
- Teen Caught Driving Insane Speed on 403 in Mississauga
- Woman in Hospital After Stabbing Incident in Mississauga
- Mississauga Massage Therapist Facing Sexual Assault Charges
- Should This New LCBO Service Come to Locations in Mississauga?
- Here's How College and University Students Can Save on Tuition in Mississauga
- Police Warn of Scam That’s Targeting a Specific Community in Mississauga
- Police Warning Residents of Scam Targeting Specific Community in Mississauga
- An Ongoing Phone Call Scam is Targeting People in Mississauga and Beyond
- A New Phone Scam is Targeting Mississauga Residents
- Police Warning Residents to Beware of Frightening Scam