Police Make Arrest in Connection with Car Torching in Mississauga
Peel police recently announced that they've made an arrest in connection with a car chase and torching incident that occurred over the weekend in Brampton and Mississauga.
On Oct. 28 at approximately 9:20 p.m., 22 Division officers were alerted to the presence of a vehicle in the Brampton police station's parking lot. Investigation revealed that the vehicle was stolen and when officers approached it, the suspect drove forwards, prompting police to discharge a single round at the driver (he was not struck).
The vehicle fled the parking lot and officers chased it for a short time before calling off the pursuit due to safety concerns.
On Oct. 29, police located the vehicle, a 2016 white Dodge Durango, on a pedestrian walkway in the Meadowvale Town Centre area in Mississauga.
The car had been set on fire.
On Oct. 30, police arrested 28-year-old Mississauga man Umair Butt. He has been charged with possession of property obtained by crime, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, arson and flight from police.
Butt was held for a bail hearing on Oct. 31, 2016 at the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact investigators with the Criminal Investigation Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 2233. Information may also be left anonymously by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), by visiting www.peelcrimestoppers.ca or by sending a text message to CRIMES (274637) with the word 'PEEL' and then your tip.
- Teen Charged After Ramming Police Cruisers With Vehicle Stolen in Mississauga
- Two police cars rammed by stolen vehicle in Mississauga, Brampton pair charged
- Police Arrest Man for Firing a Gun into a Vehicle in Mississauga
- Police make arrest in connection to hit-and-run in Mississauga
- Police Arrest Mississauga Purse Snatcher
- Some university students in Mississauga are dating older partners to pay off debt
- Police won’t be stopping and questioning people while stay-at-home order is in effect
- New COVID-19 isolation centre now open in Peel; more coming soon
- Two COVID-19 cases reported at Loblaws in Mississauga
- Here's how the vaccine will be rolled out in Mississauga