Police and by-law officers “moving people along” at Diwali celebration this evening
A Diwali celebration in Brampton — which reportedly had hundreds in attendance — caught the attention of Peel police and city by-law officers this evening.
Officers are currently on scene at Gurudwara Nanaksar Temple on McLaughlin Road South, where there was a large gathering of people and high pedestrian traffic, and are “trying to get people to move along” according to Cst. Sarah Patten.
Police couldn’t confirm whether by-law officers issued any charges or fines.
Police, who had previous asked residents celebrating Diwali not to attend or host gatherings, issued a statement reminding residents to celebrate safely.
“We know that Diwali is a special time for many in our community,” said police.
“However, we are facing a crisis across the Greater Toronto Area, including right here in Peel Region. We ask that you be mindful and respectful of Provincial, Regional and Municipal guidelines when celebrating.”
Multiple @PeelPolice officers along with @CityBrampton Bylaw officers have shut down tonight’s Diwali event at the Gurudwara Nanaksar Temple. Hundreds in attendance throughout tonight’s celebrations. #Brampton @ChiefNish @patrickbrownont #Diwali pic.twitter.com/fFXyhCQTpY— Andrew Collins (@ACollinsPhoto) November 15, 2020
- Major fines issued following crowded Diwali celebration
- How to safely dispose of your fireworks after celebrating Diwali
- Parking Exemption Granted for Diwali in Mississauga
- Peel Regional Police officers not facing charges after man’s lung collapses during arrest in Mississauga: SIU
- Mississauga Man Charged After Allegedly Accusing Police Officers of Theft
- Looks like Mississauga and Brampton will be moving into grey lockdown zone on March 9
- Mississauga men celebrating big lotto wins as the machine froze
- Man delivering food in Mississauga robbed: Peel Police
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga had 24 international and 4 domestic flights with COVID-19 cases
- Change coming to waste collection in Mississauga this month