PICK A SIDE: Should students be returning to classrooms in the fall?
The Province has finally announced the plan for students in the fall.
When the school year starts in September, elementary school students will be returning to class full-time, while high school students will be returning part-time.
Additionally, students in grades four through 12 will be required to wear a mask while in class, while younger students are encouraged to wear a mask while indoors—but they won’t be required to.
Further, school boards will be required to offer remote learning options for families who choose not to send their kids back to class.
Moreover, the Province has announced schools will not be strictly enforcing physical distancing. Rather, students will be assigned to designated groups and only interact with these group members, and everyone will be encouraged to wash their hands frequently.
So far, many parents are leery of the sending their kids back to school, but some feel like they don’t have a choice.
I don't have a lot to say about Ontario's school reopening plans. They don't sound particularly well thought out or safe, but I also don't feel like I have any choices in the matter.— Jane Schmidt (@janeschmidt) July 31, 2020
On a different but related note, if you have any tips on masks for a dino-loving kid, hmu.
Some parents are optimistic that the spread of the virus will have slowed enough that reopening schools won’t increase the risk.
Am I the only parent in Ontario not losing my shit over the school reopening plan? There were EIGHTY NINE cases in the entire province today.— olivia (@oliviatweets_) July 31, 2020
I really think we need to see how August goes before freaking out about it being an #UnsafeSeptember.
Other parents who have had to balance working from home and taking care of their kids at the same time may be looking forward to schools reopening if only for the fact it would mean they’ll be more productive while working.
However, some are concerned having hundreds of kids packed into classrooms will only further exacerbate the threat of a second wave of the virus.
#onpoli The school reopening is a disaster in the making. Classes of 30 and more means people will die, virus returns with a vengeance and Ontario economy will be in shambles.— Carmel Suttor (@carmelsuttor) July 31, 2020
So, Mississauga, what do you think?
Should students be returning to classrooms?
- Poll suggests parents want students to don masks at school in fall
- Many parents nervous about return of school, plan to send kids anyway: survey
- Ontario students begin return to class today as some boards reopen schools
- PICK A SIDE: Should kids go back to school in September?
- Parents divided over sending kids back to school: Poll
- Drivers charged after four tow trucks involved in street racing in Milton: Police
- Police on scene for reports of suspicious package in Mississauga
- Cheese, ranch seasoning, mangoes and more recalled from stores in Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario
- Police searching for suspects after church vandalized in Mississauga
- Male shot in Mississauga, taken to trauma centre