PHOTOS: Here's Some of the Food Coming to Square One's Food District in Mississauga
The Food District opening is so close we can taste it.
In fact, we literally got to taste it—and we weren't disappointed.
Square One is no stranger to grand-scale expansion projects that fundamentally alter the look, feel and appeal of the city’s biggest--and best known--shopping centre. In the summer of 2018, Square One announced its massive west expansion project, which will include the modern and on-trend Food District.
Village Juicery - The go-to, cold-pressed juice destination
Square One said the $580 million redevelopment (which also includes the Cineplex-owned Rec Room, Uniqlo and Indigo) is one of the most ambitious projects of its kind in North America.
Construction on the addition, which will take shape in the former Target area, is well underway. In fact, the Rec Room is slated to open this month. Uniqlo and Indigo have both already opened their doors.
Pier 87 Fish Market & Grill - Providing top quality, sustainable seafood
The almost 40,000 sq. ft. Food District, intended to provide an elevated experience for foodie tourists and locals alike, is opening on April 1, 2019. It’ll focus on offering local, handmade and high-quality foods in a setting that embraces both new- and old-world food emporiums. It’ll offer restaurants, a butchershop, a fishmonger, food tastings, cooking classes and more.
And now, after a tour of the space, we know exactly who will be calling the beautiful space home this spring—and what they're serving.
Square One says the innovative space will provide an authentic experience for foodie tourists and locals alike and will feature everything from pies from The Pie Commission and authentic Italian pasta from Dal Moro's Pasta to gourmet chips from Craft Chippery.
Arvinda's - Purveyors of easy-to-use, pre-packaged Indian spice blends.
The Food District will also be home to the District Kitchen, an interactive demonstration space housing cooking classes, dinner parties, corporate and other special events. The District Kitchen will be helmed by Chef Julian Pancer.
The Macaron Boutique - Picture-perfect French desserts
At the media preview that insauga.com attended, a very special guest made an appearance. Jonathan Cheban—who goes by the appropriate handle @foodgod on social media—appeared to talk food with attendees.
BROD - Authentic Danish pastry house
Cheban, an American reality television star, entrepreneur and regular guest on Keeping Up with the Kardashians and its spinoffs. He starred in his own reality TV show, The Spin Crowd, in 2010. He also appeared on Celebrity Big Brother in the U.K. in 2016.
As far as food goes, Cheban opened Sushi Mikasa in Miami and launched a food and lifestyle website called TheDishh in 2014.
In 2015, Cheban opened the Burger Bandit quick-service restaurant on Long Island in New York.
Hale Coffee - Toronto-based specialty coffee roaster
"Square One has been a key part of the Mississauga community for over 45 years and the Centre has grown with the city; continuously evolving to provide an innovative destination to explore fashion, food, lifestyle and entertainment," says Square One director and general manager Greg Taylor. "We are thrilled to continue to invest in the area and the prosperity of its residents, while also creating over 250 job opportunities with this addition. The Food District will house gourmet artisans in a space where guests can enjoy and share their food experiences."
Seed to Sausage - Charcuterie plate master, providing locally made, artisanal cured meats
So, what food vendors can you expect to see at the District?
- Arvinda's - Purveyors of easy-to-use, pre-packaged Indian spice blends.
- Bake Three Fifty - Build-your-own cupcakes, ice cream sandwiches and milkshakes.
- Blackjack BBQ - Best known for its Sweet Whisky Pork Ribs and Dinosaur Beef Ribs.
- Blossom Moments - Gorgeous bouquets, with arrangements for any occasion.
- BROD - Authentic Danish pastry house.
- Craft Chippery - Where fresh, gourmet chips are made right in front of your eyes.
- Chocollata Gourmet - Specializing in Brazilian brigadeiros.
- Dal Moro's Pasta - Authentic pasta, made from scratch.
- Hale Coffee - Toronto-based specialty coffee roaster.
- Kingston Olive Oil Co. - Quality cooking oils, such as roasted almond and black truffle.
- La Carnita - Well-known to-go Mexican food.
- MidiCi - Authentic Neapolitan pizza maker.
- The Pie Commission - Popular, mouth-watering pies such as Beef'n Beer and Butter Chicken.
- Pier 87 Fish Market & Grill - Providing top quality, sustainable seafood.
- Sugar King Factory - Destination for candy, chocolate and anything sweet.
- Sweet Jesus - Locally famous ice cream shop with experiential flavour options.
- Tao Tea Leaf - Providing over 180 varieties of tea.
- The Box Donut - The finest and most decadent donuts.
- Village Juicery - The go-to, cold-pressed juice destination.
- The Macaron Boutique - Picture-perfect French desserts.
- Plancha - Original, open-flamed Spanish cooking.
- Seed to Sausage - Charcuterie plate master, providing locally made, artisanal cured meats.
The new expansion will create over 250 full-time and part-time positions within the community,
Over the past year, Square One has introduced over 40 new retailers to its roster of brands.
Having topped $1 billion in sales, Square One os one of the most productive shopping centres in North America. According to a recent Retail Council of Canada report, Square One boasts a sales per square foot of $1,086.
It’s one of the top 10 most profitable shopping centers in Canada.
- PHOTOS: Here is Everything That’s Coming to the New Food District in Square One in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Sneak Peek at the Food District in Square One in Mississauga
- Massive New Food District Coming to Square One
- Celebrities Set to Appear at the Grand Opening of the Food District in Square One in Mississauga
- 5 Most Anticipated Restaurants Coming to the Food District in Square One in Mississauga
- The Keg is opening a brand new restaurant in Mississauga
- Long-standing laser tag facility shuts down in Mississauga
- Two Mississauga men enjoying big lotto wins
- Mississauga mayor says city ticketed restaurants and individuals for violating gathering limits
- Ontario teachers no longer self-isolating after coming into contact with individuals experiencing COVID-19 symptoms