Mississauga and Brampton to get the pharmacy vaccine program
Pharmacies in Mississauga and Brampton will soon be delivering the COVID-19 vaccine to those over the age of 60.
Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown confirmed the news this evening saying the provincial government has committed to rolling out the program in Peel Region.
"It's a big relief," said Brown.
Earlier in the day Ontario's Solicitor General Sylvia Jones said pharmacies in hot spots such as Peel will be next on the list when the province expands the pilot program that currently exists only in Toronto, Kingston and Windsor.
Although no timeframe for the rollout was given and the number of pharmacies taking part is not yet know, it is believed that Mississauga and Brampton residents could start making appointments by the end of the month.
Both the AstraZeneca and Moderna vaccines will be made available when the program starts in Peel.
"We are going to double the amount of pharmacies up to 700, we [currently] have 350," said Premier Doug Ford. "We really want to focus on Peel Region, York, and Toronto."
The province cautioned that the program will depend on the availability of the drug supply, but the premier said he is optimistic there will be enough of the vaccine for those over 60 who want it.
with files from The Canadian Press
- 18 and older in Mississauga and Brampton can book a vaccine in some pharmacies
- Pharmacies in Halton now offering AstraZeneca vaccine
- Pfizer vaccine offered in 8 pharmacies in Mississauga and Brampton to residents 55+
- Province expands use of Moderna vaccine through Hamilton pharmacies as shipments ramp-up
- Some pharmacies in Hamilton are offering the Moderna vaccine for 18 plus
- Brampton truck driver sentenced to prison after 2019 collision that killed three
- Married parents of two from Milton celebrating big lotto win
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- $500,000 lotto winner from Mississauga thought it was a joke
- Burlington residents now have an additional splash pad to check out this summer