Outbreak at Mississauga long-term care home after staff member tests positive for COVID-19
A staff member at a long-term care home in Mississauga is in self-isolation after testing positive for COVID-19.
The staff member is employed at Silverthorn Care Community, a home located in the area of Mississauga Road and Highway 403.
It’s reported that the individual in question doesn’t work in a residential area of the home and does not have direct contact with residents, but still has had contact with the team and caregivers.
The affected staff member is in isolation and has been isolated as of Wednesday, April 1.
Peel Public Health has reportedly advised that visitors and residents continue to be screened for symptoms, practice social distancing in dining rooms, and have staff members take their breaks in their respective areas of the home without moving to another area.
Additional measures the home says it is taking include:
- Protocols for staff wearing surgical masks are in place
- No non-essential visitors to residences
- Residents are restricted from leaving the residence other than for emergency/essential appointments as approved by the management team
- Anyone moving into the residence will be in isolation for 14 days.
- Anyone who is suspected to have been exposed to COVID-19 will be quarantined
- Rigorous frequent cleaning of all surfaces
- Only virtual tours are being provided
At this time, Peel Public Health has not advised to test everyone in the home.
“Our amazing team is working day and night to tackle the spread of COVID-19 and provide residents with the services and care they need,” said Lois Cormack, President and CEO at Sienna Senior Living.
“Their new reality is one of wearing a mask at all times, having their temperature taken twice a day, making sure vigilant measures are in place to monitor the health of residents, and finding new innovative ways to provide programs with physical distance.”
This is the most recent case at a Sienna Senior Living long-term care home, with cases (25 total cases) being reported at eight of their homes in the province so far:
- Silverthorn Care Community, Mississauga - 1 team member
- Villa Leonardo Gambin Care Community, Vaughan - 8 residents
- Bradford Valley Care Community, Bradford - 1 resident, 1 team members
- Spencer House Care Community, Orillia - 1 team member
- Carolina Retirement Residence, Perth - 4 residents, 2 team members
- Altamont Care Community, West Hill - 1 residents, 5 team members
- Rockcliffe Care Community, Scarborough - 1 resident
Information and updates about all COVID-19 cases at Sienna Living homes can be found at siennaliving.ca/covid-19-update/updates.
This outbreak is in addition to the two outbreaks currently being investigated by Peel Public Health at long-term care homes in Mississauga.
Updated with total number of COVID-19 cases as per Sienna Senior Living website.
- UPDATE: Peel reporting 184 COVID-19 cases at Mississauga long-term care home
- UPDATE: 43 deaths reported at long-term care home in Mississauga
- BREAKING: 50 residents test positive for COVID-19 at long-term care facility in Mississauga
- Crosses placed at Mississauga long-term care home as province reports 48 deaths
- Ontario to test all long-term care residents, staff for COVID-19
- Ontarians say initial vax appointments tough to cancel once earlier dose booked
- Square One serving up mall food in new outdoor patio dining area
- All residents of Mississauga, Brampton 18+ who received an mRNA vaccine will soon be able to book their second
- Empty lot at major Brampton intersection being turned into hub of commerce
- Cyclist killed on Hwy. 50 in Brampton, road closed for several hours