Ontario sees 805 new COVID-19 cases amid new restrictions at York Region care homes
Ontario is reporting 805 new cases of COVID-19 today and 10 new deaths related to the virus.
The figures come as another Toronto-area public health unit imposes tighter restrictions on local long-term care homes.
The new ban on all but essential visitors and caregivers went into effect in York Region amid what Health Minister Christine Elliott calls an "alarming upward trend" in COVID-19 cases there.
The government issued a statement saying the only visitors now allowed at the facilities in the region north of Toronto are those deemed essential.
Effective Monday, and until further notice, long-term care home residents are also not allowed to have short-term and temporary absences for social or personal reasons.
Elliott says 93 of the latest cases are in York Region, with 374 recorded in Toronto, 107 in Peel Region and 70 in Ottawa.
The province announced yesterday that York Region is joining the other three COVID-19 hot spots in moving back to a modified Stage 2 of pandemic protocol starting Monday.
The modified Stage 2 comes amid rising cases and includes the closure of gyms and movie theatres, and a ban on indoor dining in restaurants or bars.
Ontario now has a total of 63,713 cases of COVID-19, including 54,686 that are considered resolved and 3,041 deaths.
- Ontario reports 658 new cases of COVID-19, down from Saturday’s 805 cases
- No more outings for residents of long-term care homes in Toronto, Peel region, Ottawa
- Ontario reports 712 new cases of COVID-19, 135 new cases in Peel
- Ontario reports 851 new COVID-19 cases today, and six new deaths from the virus
- New cases of COVID-19 in Ontario show positive trend, Peel Region still second most affected area
- Brampton father found guilty in severe malnutrition of his 21-month-old daughter
- India extends own flight ban disrupting travel plans for those in Mississauga and Brampton
- Hudson's Bay may be in 'shirt' over a taboo typo in Canada
- WATCH: Hamilton Police release video of Barton Street shooting
- Big deals happening at a new clothing and accessories store at Dixie Outlet Mall in Mississauga