Ontario school board group calls for teachers to get vaccinated over spring break
The group that represents Ontario's English public school boards is calling on the province to vaccinate education workers against COVID-19 over the upcoming spring break.
The Ontario Public School Board Association says the measure would help keep kids in classrooms, as fewer teachers would have to miss work due to COVID-19 exposure.
As it stands, teachers are set to be vaccinated towards the end of Phase 2 of the province's immunization rollout, which is not expected until school is out for the summer.
Cathy Abraham, president of OPSBA, says the education minister's decision to delay the March break until April 12 gives the province the perfect opportunity to make a difference this school year.
She made the request in a letter to Education Minister Stephen Lecce that was sent Thursday, and says she has yet to hear back.
Spokespeople for the ministers of health and education did not immediately provide comment on the matter.
Harvey Bischof, president of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation, says his union's members are eager to get vaccinated, but don't want to hop the queue ahead of those most vulnerable to COVID-19.
He says, however, that once the elderly and front-line health-care workers get their shots, teachers should be next in line.
- Ontario high school teachers ratify collective agreement with province, union says
- Ontario labour board dismisses teachers’ union challenge of school plan
- Ontario elementary school teachers to resume contract talks with province
- Ontario's high school teachers withdrawing services from select school boards this Tuesday
- Ontario high school teachers to resume bargaining for first time since December
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Police make arrest in assualt case at a Mississauga park
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Pfizer says third dose of COVID-19 vaccine very effective against Delta variant