Ontario reports 315 new COVID-19 cases, two deaths in past 24 hours
TORONTO -- Ontario is reporting 315 new cases of COVID-19 today, and two new deaths from the virus.
There were also 154 cases newly marked as resolved over the past 24 hours.
The total number of cases in Ontario now stands at 45,383, which includes 2,822 deaths and 40,245 cases classified as resolved.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says 25 public health units are reporting five or fewer cases.
She says Toronto is reporting 77 new cases, with 61 in Ottawa and 54 in Peel Region.
The province says it processed 28,761 tests over the previous 24 hours.
It is also reporting 12 new COVID-19 cases in schools -- six students, four staff, and two are unidentified.
Meanwhile, Ontario will lower the limits on social gatherings in a bid to stem a recent increase in COVID-19 cases.
Premier Doug Ford's office has confirmed the move but won't say when the new health guidelines will be released.
The current limit on social gatherings is 50 people indoors and 100 outdoors.
Provincial health officials have attributed the spike in cases largely to people not following public health guidelines at social gatherings.
Ford has promised to take action in the regions where most of the cases have emerged -- Toronto, Peel, and Ottawa.
He has also not ruled out further lockdowns in those areas if virus case numbers aren't brought under control.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 16, 2020.
The Canadian Press
- Ontario reports 158 new COVID-19 cases, two new deaths due to the virus
- Ontario reporting 977 new cases of COVID-19, nine deaths linked to virus
- Ontario reporting more than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases and nine new deaths
- Ontario reports 132 new COVID-19 cases, bulk in Peel and Toronto
- Ontario reporting 827 new cases of COVID-19 today, 169 new cases in Peel
- Drugs found at kids playland, 19 from Brampton busted as international trafficking ring smashed, police release all names
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- Police on scene in Brampton after man found with serious injuries, sources say gunplay suspected
- Mississauga and Brampton to close all businesses with 5 or more COVID-19 cases immediately
- Here's where the new Automated Speed Enforcement cameras are in Mississauga