Ontario Government To Allow Landlords To Increase Rent In Mississauga
The Ford government is increasing the rent guideline for 2020.
According to the government’s website, landlords can increase rent by 2.2 per cent in Mississauga and the rest of Ontario.
This means that if your monthly rent is $1,000, then lawfully your landlord could increase your rent payment to $1,022 per month. Your landlord would just need to provide a written notice at least 90 days before the increase comes into effect.
In 2018, the government allowed tenants to increase the rent by 1.8 per cent. This year’s increase is the highest since 2013 when the government allowed tenants to increase the rent by 2.5 per cent.
People who live in private rental units covered by the Residential Tenancies Act would be affected.
In most cases, the rent for a unit can be increased 12 months after the last rent increase or when a tenant first moves in.
However, the guideline does not apply to vacant residential units, social housing units, nursing homes and commercial properties. It also does not affect people who moved into new buildings, additions to existing buildings and most new basement apartments after November 15, 2018.
The rent guideline was calculated using the Ontario Consumer Price Index, a Statistics Canada tool that measures inflation and economic conditions over a year. The data from June to May is used to determine the guideline for the following year.
- Here’s how much your landlord can increase your rent in 2020 in Mississauga
- Government Moves Forward on Rent Control in Ontario
- Significant Changes Set to Hit Renters in Mississauga
- Tenants Now Protected From Unfair Rent Increases
- Take commercial landlords ‘out of the equation’ for rent relief, says CFIB
- Drivers charged after four tow trucks involved in street racing in Milton: Police
- $1 million lotto prize was won by a lottery player in Ontario
- Police searching for suspects after church vandalized in Mississauga
- Police on scene for reports of suspicious package in Mississauga
- Cheese, ranch seasoning, mangoes and more recalled from stores in Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario