One of Mississauga’s Oldest Restaurants About to be Displaced by Condo Development
Even though it's become necessary for cities to grow up rather than out, sometimes new and proposed developments fundamentally alter and affect the lay of the land and displace some establishments that we can't imagine being gone.
Recently, we found out that a luxury condo development is going to displace long-standing fine dining gem Piatto.
Now, it looks like old school family restaurant Wally's—one of the oldest restaurant in Mississauga—could be displaced by a new condo development.
If you've walked by Wally's, you might have noticed some signage indicating that a development has been proposed for the area. The City of Mississauga has since confirmed that the development, should it go forward, will require the demolition of the restaurant.
According to the City of Mississauga, an application has been submitted to change the official plan and zoning by-law to permit a 40 storey condominium building with 360 units and 577 m2 (6,210 ft2) of retail commercial space on the ground floor at 3480 Hurontario Street.
Here's a rendering, courtesy of the City of Mississauga.
Carley Smith Smith DeBenedictis, senior communications advisor with the city, says the existing restaurant would be demolished and not replaced.
"We do not know what the owner of Wally's is planning to do long term," Smith DeBenedictis said in email to inSauga.com
inSauga.com has attempted to reach Wally's for comment and has not heard back as of yet.
The City says that the next step is Ward 7 Councillor Nando Iannicca’s community meeting on Sept. 13.
Following this, a formal public meeting will be held at Planning and Development Committee. This meeting will give residents a chance to learn more about the plans and share their thoughts.
While it's not possible to say whether Wally's will be moving or closing down entirely, there's no doubt that the news will be difficult for those who have been enjoying the resto for decades. Wally's, which has been around for about 40 years, is one of the best and most well known greasy spoons. It's most famous for one of its most classic dishes -- the Wally's hamburger and fries.
Also, this is one of the only greasy spoons that has a patio.
For more information about meetings and the future of the site, call 3-1-1 (or 905-615-4311) or email application [dot] info [at] mississauga [dot] ca.
For more information, click here.
- Huge Snowfall Set to Hit Mississauga This Weekend
- This Massive Kids Store is Closing its Doors
- Ontario Government Cancels Free Tuition for Low-Income Students
- Police Warn Residents to Beware of Serious and Ongoing Taxi Scam in Mississauga
- Man and Woman Wanted After Five People Struck by Vehicle Outside Bar in Mississauga
- First Glimpse of Proposed Condo replacing Wally's in Mississauga
- Quick Bite, Lunch: Wally's
- New Development Could Takeover Long-Standing Strip Mall
- Some Residents Fuming About Brand New Development Proposed for Mississauga
- Mississauga Residents Outraged by Condo That Could Shut Down Iconic Restaurant