One of Canada's largest vaccination clinics will open in Brampton this month
One of the largest COVID-19 mass vaccination sites in the country will open in Brampton later this month.
The clinic will be held at the CAA Centre (formerly known as the Brampton Centre for Sports & Entertainment and then the Powerade Centre) and will be a joint operation between Bruce Power and Peel Public Health. Bruce Power is an electricity company based in Bruce County.
The site will be used as a regional clinic that will be able to accommodate thousands of people each day and will be based on the "hockey hub" model used in the Grey-Bruce area of Ontario that set a daily national record for COVID-19 vaccinations in April.
The hockey hub model uses a hockey arena for a streamlined flow-through process, which can administer more vaccines with fewer clinical staff than traditional mass vaccination clinics.
"The hockey hub model really is a game changer in terms of efficiency and safety as we make every effort to get as many people vaccinated in as short as time as possible," said Dr. Ian Arra, Medical Officer of Health at the Grey Bruce Health Unit, who developed the hockey hub model. "Public Health has been the leader in managing the pandemic. This innovation is yet another example of how Public Health saves lives. The Grey Bruce Health Unit team has supported a number of jurisdictions in adopting this model and customizing it to their local needs. We are thrilled to be part of this new partnership with Peel Public Health and Bruce Power to develop the hockey hub in Peel and the Greater Toronto Area."
The hockey hub clinic will be open to the public and residents ages 18 and over can book their appointment through the Peel Public Health booking system or the provincial online booking portal. There is also a need for volunteers to help ensure these centres can run efficiently and reach as many people as possible.
A number of organizations are providing support to set up and run the clinic including: Alectra Utilities, Nordion, the Power Workers' Union, Framatome, Kinectrics, SNC-Lavalin, NPX, CGI Inc., LiUNA, BWXT, E.S. Fox, Energy Solutions, the Provincial Building and Construction Trades Council of Ontario, and the Ontario Chamber of Commerce Vaccination Support Council.
- Brampton's CAA Centre hosting Canada's largest COVID-19 vaccination clinic
- Hamilton Public Health adds new group to vaccine eligibility as Province launches online booking
- Halton Health opens new vaccination clinic in Burlington
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic opens in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: A look inside a mass vaccination clinic in Mississauga
- House of the week: $4.5 mil Mississauga Road home with gorgeous outdoor features
- VIDEO: Fire destroys Mississauga Road mansion
- Thirteen tickets won a massive lottery prize in Ontario but no jackpot
- VIDEO: Geese causing major traffic jam at intersection in Brampton by Costco
- Ontario ticket holder wins Saturday’s $9.4 million Lotto 649 jackpot