Oakville expands electric vehicle charging network
Published April 29, 2022 at 1:31 pm
Oakville residents now have more places in town to get their electrical vehicles charged.
The Town has installed 16 new dual-wand charging stations, bringing the number of Level 2 charging stations in Oakville to 23.
That adds up to 46 spaces (listed below) offering electric vehicle charging in the community-wide network.
Drivers can find the charging stations spread around town with 20 connections available in commercial shopping districts and 26 more at town community centres and Town Hall.
The Town of Oakville is hoping to get more people to make the switch to electric vehicles to help meet its goal of reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 50 per cent by 2041.
“Providing easy access for electric vehicles is one more way we are working to decrease Oakville’s overall greenhouse gas emissions and making measurable strides towards a more livable future,” said Oakville Mayor Rob Burton.
The network of chargers was made possible in part through $220,000 in funding from the Government of Canada’s Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program (ZEVIP) in 2020. The town’s portion of $348,000 was approved as part of the 2020 Capital Budget.
A fee for using the charging stations helps cover the ongoing energy, maintenance and operating expenses. Chargers located in municipal paid-parking spaces in the business improvement areas such as Downtown Oakville, Kerr Village and Bronte Village, have an integrated system so that motorists will pay one fee for both charging and parking.
Here are the locations in Oakville you can find electric vehicle chargers:
Commercial parking areas
- Four dual stations on Lakeshore Road East in Downtown Oakville:
- south side, west of George Street
- north side, east of George Street
- south side, west of Reynolds Street
- north side, east of Reynolds Street
- Three dual stations in Lot 2 – Church Street, 184 Church Street
- One dual station in Lot 8 – Randall/Reynolds Streets, 334 Randall Street
- One dual station in Lot 12 – Florence/Washington Streets, 72 Washington Street
- One dual station on Bronte Road, west side, south of Marine Drive
- One dual station on Ontario Street, south side, east of Nelson Street
- Two dual stations at Oakville Town Hall, 1225 Trafalgar Road
- Three dual stations at Oakville Trafalgar Community Centre, 325 Reynolds Street:
- In level 1 of the parking garage
- One dual station at Joshua’s Creek Arenas, 1663 North Service Road East, L6H 7T1
- One dual station at Trafalgar Park Community Centre, 133 Rebecca Street
- Northwest end of parking lot
- One dual station at Glen Abbey Community Centre, 1415 Third Line
North parking lot
- One dual station at Iroquois Ridge Community Centre, 1051 Glenashton Drive
- One dual station at River Oaks Community Centre, 2400 Sixth Line
- One dual station at Sixteen Mile Sports Complex, 3070 Neyagawa Boulevard
- One dual station at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre, 2302 Bridge Road
For more information, visit oakville.ca.
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising