National Sports losing Brampton location as part of chain-wide closure
National Sports will be shutting down its Brampton retail operation as part of a plan to close all of the stores.
The Brampton location is at 539 Steeles Ave. E. (near Kennedy Rd. S.)
Parent company Canadian Tire says it is closing down the stores to reduce overlap in the company's sporting goods sales and to gain financial efficiencies. Many of the stores have been closed during the pandemic, but have been offering curbside pickup and online orders.
Gregory Craig, the retailer's chief financial officer, told investors that all 18 stores that are located in Southern Ontario will be closing.
He says it was a difficult decision for the company because of its impact on people.
Craig says the company is making every effort to place affected employees within the retailer's family of stores, which includes Canadian Tire, SportChek and Mark's.
The company made the announcement even though sales have been strong for hockey and other sports equipment during the pandemic. Fourth-quarter profit and revenue both rose significantly compared with a year ago at $4.87 billion, up from $4.32 billion.
National Sports was started by entrepreneur Norm Clements in 1968. It was subsequently sold to SportChek which was eventually acquired by Canadian Tire.
With files from The Canadian Press
- National Sports closing two Mississauga locations
- Canadian Tire Corporation closing some stores, reducing hours for others
- Canadian Tire To Buy 65 Party City Stores For $174 Million
- Pier 1 files for bankruptcy protection, closing all Canadian stores
- Canadian clothing retailer permanently closing stores amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Provinces full vaccination target may be hard to reach in Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario
- MAYORS CHAT: Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown chats COVID-19, outdoor activities, vaccines for children – May 14, 2021
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at Mississauga secondary school
- One Mississauga postal code rises to 22% COVID-19 positivity rate
- Two Brampton residents killed in highway crash near Cornwall