Multiple groups come together to create special Port Credit-only gift card in Mississauga
Although the province is slowly reopening, many businesses remain shuttered due to COVID-19 and the relatively strict physical distancing rules that have come with it—and even those that are open are struggling to get back on track.
Almost three months into the pandemic in Ontario, stores with street-front entrances have been allowed to reopen and restaurants are still permitted to offer takeout and delivery. Although it's been challenging to attract as many diners and customers as before, small and independent businesses in Mississauga's bustling Port Credit neighbourhood are getting some help in the form of a versatile electronic gift card.
Support the Port, a homegrown initiative launched by the Port Credit BIA in partnership with Brightwater, Edenshaw and the Port Credit Community Foundation, asks people to purchase a gift card for use at a participating business now or when it fully reopens in the future.
For every purchase made, a matching donation will be made to The Compass Food Bank.
Some participating businesses include Blueheel Dance Studio, Crooked Cue, Fitness by the Lake, La Villa Fine Foods, Lazeez Shawarma, Linda's Craftique, MyOlive Premium Olive Oil & Balsamic Tasting Bar, Nourish Moi, Posta Italbar Cucina, Quaint & Paint, Shore Grill and Grotto, Spice Lounge & Tapas, Stavebank Florist, The Port House, The School Creative Arts Education, The Ten Spot and more.
To see a full list, click here.
"The sad reality is that many businesses will not make it through this crisis," Jake Pedler, chairman of the Port Credit BIA, says on the Support the Port website.
"However, the Port Credit business community is very resilient, passionate and united, so with the support of our community and sponsors, this initiative will greatly assist in the recovery and boost morale."
Cover photo courtesy of Support the Port
- Local businesses in Port Credit need our support now more than ever
- Residents launch ambitious campaign to save small businesses from closing down in Port Credit in Mississauga
- Something New Has Come to Port Credit in Mississauga
- The Heart of Port Credit is Back in Mississauga
- Port Credit Harbour Way Back in the Day
- Pilot for new CBS medical drama spotted filming recently in Mississauga
- Injuries reported after fight with baseball bat and vehicle ramming in Mississauga
- Sikh, Hindu dispute over Indian politics boils over in Brampton
- Mississauga men celebrating big lotto wins as the machine froze
- The Cake Boss is coming to Canada with a brand new location in Mississauga