MiWay Fares About to Change
If you're a MiWay rider, you might be in for some price increases come May 1.
Beginning next month, some fares will increase while others will stay the same. Some tickets that will cost you a few cents or dollars more will include adult tickets, adult PRESTO tickets, post-secondary student PRESTO passes, senior's tickets and senior's PRESTO tickets. The current Senior Monthly Pass will be discontinued on May 1 and the Senior Monthly PRESTO Pass will cost $61 a month, effective the same day.
Cash, student and child fares will not be increasing or decreasing in price.
As for why the prices are fluctuating, it appears the increases are intended to offset the cost of system enhancements and equalize the sharing of costs among riders and regular (and perhaps non-riding) residents. MiWay is also promoting the use of its PRESTO passes.
"Some MiWay fares are increasing to offset the cost of system enhancements and maintain the sharing of transit costs between riders and taxpayers. MiWay remains an affordable transportation option in Mississauga with fares that compare to other Greater Toronto Hamilton Area transit systems," said Geoff Marinoff, Director of Transit, in a recent City of Mississauga press release. "About 50 per cent of our customers use PRESTO as their choice of fare payment and we continue to encourage this transition to PRESTO with more PRESTO choices beginning on May 1."
Here's a look at the exact price increases to expect next month.
Fare Changes Effective May 1, 2016:
* $1 Senior cash fare in effect during off peak hours, weekends and holidays) - under Council Review (see Seniors’ One Dollar MiWay Ride Extended into 2016)
- Here's what you need to know about the new regulations for airlines
- Walmart opens brand new facility in Mississauga
- A Peel police officer has been charged with sexual assault
- Popular gourmet American doughnut shop opening first Ontario location in Mississauga
- VIDEO: aftermath of fatal crash in Mississauga