Mississauga's Getting a Brand New Innovation Hub
As a city that’s always seeing new and exciting developments, it’s no surprise that Mississauga is getting a brand new centre that’s geared entirely towards innovation.
The province recently announced that it will be funding a downtown Mississauga Innovation Hub located at Sheridan College’s Hazel McCallion Campus in City Centre.
The new space is being established in partnership between Sheridan College, the City of Mississauga and Ryerson University.
“The Mississauga Innovation Hub will be a great asset to Mississauga and our province,” said Charles Sousa, Minister of Finance, in a recent release.
“It will bring together a diverse range of entrepreneurs and innovators, provide start-ups with business and technical support, as well as conduct cutting edge research to help them thrive. This unique innovation partnership will nurture companies and create high paying jobs that strengthen our economy.”
The hub aims to support students and young entrepreneurs, according to the province.
“Ontario is supporting students and young entrepreneurs who want to explore the world of entrepreneurship, turn ideas into products and businesses and develop the skills necessary to succeed as an entrepreneur with the creation of a downtown Mississauga Innovation Hub,” reads the release.
The province has outlined three priorities for the hub:
- Facilitating programming to help students and the community develop entrepreneurial skills
- Providing customized mentorship for early stage start-ups
- Creating and supporting activities for like-minded peers to learn about entrepreneurship and innovation through workshops and programming.
“Sheridan is exceptionally proud to partner with the City of Mississauga, Ryerson University, and industry to provide integrated innovation support programming within Mississauga’s downtown core,” said Dr. Mary Preece, President and Vice Chancellor, Sheridan College, in the release.
Dr. Preece noted that the “investment will expand the support that’s currently available at Sheridan and throughout the City to serve even more entrepreneurs, spur the development of new engines of economic growth, and meet the innovation needs of companies of all sizes.”
“Together, we will foster innovation and entrepreneurship - two areas that are fundamental to Ontario’s future competitiveness and prosperity,” she said.
The province is investing a whopping $1.5 million over three years to develop the Mississauga Innovation Hub.
As for an anticipated opening date, the hub is slated to open quite soon. According to the province, the hub plans to open in late summer or fall 2018.
What do you think of the plans?
- Mississauga is on the Path to Unlimited Innovation
- Sheridan College creating 75 paid positions for Mississauga students this summer
- Hamilton's Innovation Factory receives $6M from feds to launch new healthcare hub
- Mississauga-Based School Getting Over $1 Million in Funding
- Mississauga Supports New UTM Innovation Complex
- UPDATE: Brampton teen drowns in Halton Hills area
- What's open at Square One mall in Mississauga
- Mississauga enters first stage of reopening as COVID-19 restrictions loosen across Ontario
- Motorcyclist dead following late-night crash in Brampton
- Mississauga, Brampton vaccine clinics taking place this weekend