Mississauga's first ever Fringe Festival is coming soon
You might have heard of Toronto’s beloved Fringe Festival—the largest theatre festival in Ontario—and wondered why Mississauga doesn’t have one.
Well, theatre lovers, you’re in luck!
SAWITRI Theatre Group is ready to unveil The Mississauga Multilingual Fringe Festival (MMFF) in August 2021 at the Sampradaya Theatre in Mississauga.
A first for SAWITRI Theatre Group, this festival is a part of the North American fringe family.
Inspired by the great fringe festival of Edinburgh and the Toronto Festival closer to home, this will be the first multilingual event in Canada that will focus on the many languages of India - Hindi, Gujrati, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil and English.
Mississauga's first ever Fringe… #Fringe #CAFF #FringeFestival #Mississauga #MississaugaArts #performance #theatre #performingarts #MMFF #Ontario #artist #performer #unjuried #MississaugaTheatre https://t.co/0Bfej8aMb4 pic.twitter.com/jtNLFAep9Q— Sawitri Theatre (@SawitriTheatre) October 25, 2020
“We are beyond thrilled to have the Mississauga Multilingual Fringe Festival (MMFF) join the over 30 festivals of the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals,” said Lucy Eveleigh, executive director of Toronto Fringe Festival and President of the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals.
Others are just as excited.
“I’m very excited to have SAWITRI Theatre Group launch the Mississauga Multilingual Fringe Festival at Sampradaya Theatre,” said Lata Pada, founder and artistic director of Sampradaya Dance Creations. “It’s been home to SAWITRI’s annual productions and we look forward to the first Fringe Festival arriving here in August 2021.”
She also mentioned that the theatre was envisioned as a creative hub for South Asian arts and it is very heart-warming to see their vision taking shape in such meaningful ways and serving the community.
Will you be checking out the festival next year?
- An Exciting Film Festival is Coming to a Theatre Near You
- Largest South Asian Film Festival in North America Opens in Mississauga This Weekend
- Unique and unexpected festival coming to Mississauga soon
- Here’s How Many Trendy Food Vendors Will Be at Japan Festival Canada in Mississauga
- Huge Asian Night Market and Food Festival Coming to Mississauga
- Rental prices falling as the year winds to a close in Mississauga
- COVID-19 surge forcing paramedics to unload ambulances outside hospitals in Mississauga
- Mississauga man charged in connection with India call centre scam
- Popular cafe closing down for good in Mississauga
- Battle lines drawn as Mississauga and Brampton fight it out over store openings