Mississauga Teacher Suspended Over Alleged Participation in Political Protest
Although one might think personal politics are typically off limits when it comes to workplace discipline, a Mississauga teacher has found herself in hot water.
According to a recent Canadian Press article, a local elementary school teacher has been suspended after an advocacy group claimed she participated in an anti-Israel protest.
The CP reports that the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board says Nadia Shoufani, a teacher at St. Catherine of Siena, has been suspended with pay. The board is currently investigating the allegations.
According to the article, the board claims concerns were brought forth by "the community and public at large" over the teacher's "professional conduct." The board has brought the issues to the Ontario College of Teachers for review, but has not -- at this juncture, at least -- confirmed that the issues are related to the protest.
CP reports that the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs says the suspension is related to comments the teacher made at the Al-Quds Day event in Toronto in July. The group -- who filed a complaint against the teacher -- alleges Shoufani urged the public to "support the resistance (against Israel) in any form."
Well, it appears that participating in fraught political protests can indeed affect one's employment status.
What do you think, Mississauga? Should Shoufani's political activism be off limits when it comes to professional discipline, or is her alleged involvement in the protest troubling enough to warrant a suspension and investigation?
- OPP Provide Update Into Major Highway 401 Collision Including Four-Year-Old Girl
- BMW Crashes Into Chinese Restaurant In Mississauga
- VIDEO: Four-Year-Old Ejected From Vehicle During Highway 401 Collision In Mississauga
- A Guinness World Record Has Been Set at Square One in Mississauga
- No Frills Has Introduced A Game That Lets Players Win PC Optimum Points
- Activists Supporting Suspended Mississauga Teacher
- Mississauga Teacher Suspended For Meth-Related Assignment
- Misconduct Allegations Against Mississauga High School Teacher Withdrawn
- Mississauga Teacher Accused of Inappropriately Touching Students
- Mississauga Teacher Fired in Wake of Sex Assault Charges